Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Customer Experience

I've heard it said, "everybody is in sales".  I can buy that (pun intended, I suppose).

A 'typical' company looks to win a contract (sale) by attempting to make a good impression, provide excellent service and hopefully, begin a long term relationship.  This logo is representative of corporate good intentions.

Rochester Public Utilities - I've had good experiences here.

Companies all promise something.  Will promises made help acquire and retain customers or might companies lose them with this very same promise?

The answer is determined by customer expectations. I've read about these "promises".  I've read about delivering on these promises as well.

There is an  entire range of possibilities within a customer satisfaction matrix.
In order to visualize the various promise/deliver outcomes, I've created a simple chart.  You might disagree with the placement of a few blocks, but this diagram works for me.



Credit:  Sandalsandastick.blogspotcom

I used to think that one should never over-promise.  I was wrong.  Being afraid to over-promise limits the customer experience as well as mine. Yes, it might be scary because commitments are required to be fulfilled in order to attain the top of the chart.

However, the full range of positive, exciting and fulfilling possibilities is lost if the goal is average.    

This matrix can serve all relationships, by the way.  Substituting personal words for corporate references and replacing the word customer with friend (spouse, child, boss) allows me to see how I can improve all types of relationships.  Over promise.  Then, over deliver.  

There is a great deal of love wrapped up in this visual. Being committed to serve others is a choice. The "satisfaction" experience is clearly amplified as one climbs the chart.  I don't know about you, but I'm not looking for average.

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus..."
Ephesians 3:20-21


No comments: