Wednesday, May 20, 2015

What is Conflict of Interest

Maybe you're a news-junkie.  Maybe you just check-in once in a while.  I know that it's hard to watch the steady stream of horrific scenes from all around the world.  ISIS.  Syria. Plane crashes, Train derailments. Terrorism bombings. I guess this is why I make sure that I catch Steve Hartman every Friday.  At least there is one positive news clip!

Dreamstime photo
In addition to the above mentioned atrocities, I'm noticing more and more news that falls into what might be termed, "Conflict of Interest".  Normally we understand this term in a legalistic point of view; Legal or illegal, yes or no, black or white, right or wrong.  Can something be legal and yet still be a conflict of interest?  Can something provide some good and still be found guilty of this conflict?

Examples.


The Clinton Foundation.  Bill was asked if he thought that accepting huge donations to the Foundation from questionable sources during Hillary's term as Secretary of State was a conflict of interest.  He absolutely denied it.  There was no favoritism.  And the money was used for great causes.

Harvard says "Nuts Make you Live Longer"  Great news!  And maybe it's true. But the research was partly funded by an organization that represents nine nut tree nut industries.

There are examples of politicians accepting campaign funds while on industry specific committees and websites that promote consumer reporting while accepting advertising from the businesses reviewed.  Look for yourself.  It's rampant.

Legal? Probably.  Ethical? Maybe.  Moral? I'll let you answer that.

I personally think in simple terms. If an appearance of a conflict of interest exists, the conflict of interest exists.  When found, circumstances can be adjusted to eliminate this perception before any impropriety occurs.

So maybe that's the question to begin with.  Maybe conflict of interest becomes a warning sign to be acted upon so that corruption is avoided.  My right/wrong definition is erroneous.  Perhaps conflict of interest isn't the bad thing, perhaps it's an alarm-bell-ringing good thing.

I plan to monitor myself closely in this regard.  I will try to follow Paul's advice.

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests, but each of you to the interests of others. Philippians 2:3,4 

If I can do that, I won't have to worry about the semantics of the term.



No comments: