Monday, July 27, 2015

Open Arms

Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, 
you will never enter the Kingdom of heaven.  Matt 18:3


Children are born knowing only "me".  Yes, they're selfish. That doesn't seem like a goal we should pursue.

Children are born messy, noisy and hard to control.  That sounds like us - but again, not much of a spiritual mission.

Children are born completely dependent on us.  Well, we are told to give our lives over to God.  I suppose that could be what He means.

This little record of ramblings called Sandals and a Stick is the attempt to look for God in this small world of mine. The more I look, the more I find.



In the back seat of a van, strapped in so tightly I wonder how breath finds a foot-hold, the youngest of grand-kids sees me through the window.  Her smile could not be any bigger and she can't wait to show me what's in her hands.  As it happens, its a crushed and mangled piece of cheese.  Slippery, slimy, and quite unappetizing, she nonetheless wants me to have it with every part of her being.

The middle grandchild unhooks all of his straps and climbs over the youngest to get out of the van. His smile is radiant.  Once outside, he slowly (which is SO unusual for him) walks over and deliberately and lovingly wraps his arms around my leg.  He's comfortable just standing there - close.


The first-born is there too.  She's tired and more reflective today but a memory flashes in my mind. Years ago, meeting the family of three at that time, she sees me waiting for her at a restaurant in Iowa.  Her smile explodes and her legs start moving.  She's practiced running but she's not very good at it.  That doesn't stop her forward motion.  Stumbling with twisted legs she races forward in nothing like a straight line eventually crashing into me.  She's happy.  She's reached her goal.  I'm happy too.



What do I see of God here?

Being like children, we hand our mangled, unappetizing mess over to Him. Racing in all of our imperfections we eventually crash into our Father grabbing His leg in comfort and love.





No comments: