Sunday, July 12, 2015

Lessons from the Collapse of a Bridge

In an Instant:  Rush Hour Disaster (ABC Docudrama, 3/7/15)

Interviews captured the memories of horror, helplessness, struggle, disbelief and sorrow as survivors of the 35W bridge collapse battle to keep it together in front of the cameras. Memories of this event are vivid.  It's almost as if today were August 1, 2007.

Video recorded the sudden loss of life for 13 and change of life for so many on and off that bridge.



I sometimes can't help but feel a bit ashamed, though.  Mesmerized by the images and the stories, I'm held captive.  I empathize and I am truly horrified as I vicariously witness the bus full of children precariously balanced on fractured, twisted and crumbling concrete. Faced with those images, I imagine what it might be like for those kids.  For the parents of those kids.  And yet, I continue to watch, safe at home knowing that my child is safe as well.

It's not all rubber-necking, though. A couple of interviews mentioned heroism.  And this is a way for me to learn about relationship to a broad community.
  • "None of us put on this uniform to be heroes.  It's our job.  It's what we do", says Wade Johnson, a Hennepin County Paramedic, as he unsuccessfully checks his emotions.  "It's just what we do."
  • "I heard what you did and I'm proud of you.  You're a hero."  These words were spoken on national television by George W. Bush to Gary Babineau.  Gary, in his pickup truck on a warm August day, was carried down with the bridge.  Hearing their screams and cries, he was instrumental in helping to safely evacuate the children in that bus.
  • In the interview for In an Instant, Gary responds, "I didn't feel like a hero. I just felt like I did the right thing.  I saw a lot of heroes help a lot of people off the bridge that day.  What is a hero?  Doing the right thing."
There are some events that bring whole communities to their knees.  These are moments when we can't help but identify closely with those involved in tragedy.  So, closely in fact, that it could be happening to us. A litany of these events could begin here.  It would be a very long list.  

The evening news is filled with tragedy.  Shootings.  Hate crimes.  Disasters.  Other than passive activities, isn't there something we can do?  Shouldn't we all strive for heroism?

 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me." Matt 25:40



1 comment:

Mike Taylor said...

So, I woke up in the middle of the night because I realized that I had failed to make the point that, in the beginning, I was trying to make! It's not that I believe most of us would walk away from "heroism" in the midst of tragedy. It's more that I think we miss opportunities every day to exhibit heroism. It's the little things which present themselves to us on a frequent basis that can help us "do for the least" thereby allowing us to live in Christ. My apologies.