Sunday, June 2, 2024

Oldies But Goodies

We live in a fast world. I’ve heard it said that computer speed and power have doubled every 2 years since the 1960s. Since I was just a kid, I can look back and see it. Take cars for example.

We used to sit overlooking a highway when visiting my Grandparents. We counted the number of cars that had air conditioning. One could tell because, at outside temperatures of 90 degrees, the windows were rolled up. We were in awe, especially since we didn’t even have a/c in the house. And, just a side note, they rolled those windows up with a crank.

I won’t go into the wide array of automobile features available today. You already know that the change is staggering.

I was reminded this week that there is yet something to take from the old-timers. As applicable as the counsel was then, their value has also increased dramatically. My opinion, of course.

The Groundwork.

Walter Hagen was a golfer. They call him the “father of professional golf.” When I was a caddie at the Hillcrest Golf Club in St. Paul, Minnesota, I used a set of Haig Ultras. I loved those clubs.

Mac Davis was a songwriter and Country singer (as I think of him), but he crossed over into pop as well.  

Ann Landers was a pen name for an advice column called Ask Ann Landers. I can’t admit to ever reading any of her columns. No male figure of that era would ever admit to reading Ask Ann Landers columns.

The Connection.

Well, there are three quite different people mentioned above. I need to tie them together. 

This article started with hearing a song (not unusual). I remembered this one from decades ago and knew most of the words, believe it or not. 

The oldie but goodie was the Mac Davis song telling us that. “You got to Stop and Smell the Roses.” I found it on YouTube, you should listen. But, if you want only the lyrics, you’ll find them here.

This famous song title was probably coined from Walter Hagen’s autobiography where he says.  “Don’t worry. Don’t hurry. And be sure to smell the flowers on the way.”  

Ann Landers comes into this arena by way of a similar association. She advocated that we, “Stop and smell the coffee.”

The Point.

I’ll start with Walter. I was very involved with his sport in my youth. I was pretty good too, if I say so myself. I spent enormous amounts of time on the links and practice areas. But I do remember something so sweet that is with me even today. You might not understand this if you don’t play the game, but I’ll lay it out anyway.

Standing on the first tee, the view is incredible. A tree-lined green carpet is laid out before me. The protective oaks are tall and stately as they allow filtered streaks of light to shimmer between them. There is not a sound. It seems even birds (and Minnesota mosquitos) are still resting. I choose the Persimmon Wooden club known as the driver and prepare to strike the ball standing on a tall golf tee just the way I like it. Its dimpled white circumference stands out against the grass. I look down at the club head. Comfortably resting on the ground, a deeply polished, high-gloss ebony mirror reflects the surroundings as the radiant red strike plate beckons, “Aim here!”

I swing and 60 years later, I still hear the reverberating crack bounce between the trees as the ball launches from its perch. It’s that crack that brings joy. It intrudes on the silence but with the jubilation of well done. Without looking, I knew it was a satisfying shot. The sound has told me everything I need to know. My eyes closed, I appreciated this moment – and still do.

This was a stop-and-smell-the-roses moment.

We can find moments like this in everyday activities. There are the usual candidates, a walk in the woods, the hearth fire on a cold evening, and the smile of a child. You’ve already heard the litany of appreciating-the-moment ideas. 

We can take it deeper, though. We can appreciate and be grateful for so many good things in life. They are blessings and we should treat each of them appropriately. 

My favorites include, 

  • The first night sleeping on freshly laundered sheets.
  • Chocolate followed by a near-ice cold glass of milk.
  • A hot shower on a cool morning. 
  • The turn of a key or push of a button that starts our car – just like that.
  • An oscillating fan sends a cool breeze on a warm day.
  • Sliding feet into a cleaned pair of sandals (loving Oofos).

In truth, nearly everything we experience is a blessing. And now, for the second time today, I’m off to enjoy the mesmerizing aroma as I grind 15 grams of Costa Rican coffee beans just before they are made into a morning latte’ with perfect foam. (Thank you, God - and Ann Landers.)

“Stop and dream a while among the trees
Well you can look up through the leaves right straight to heaven
You can almost hear the voice of God.”
Mac Davis – Stop and Smell the Roses



“Now, our God, we give you thanks, and praise your glorious name.” 
1 Chronicles 29:13 

No comments: