Sunday, May 26, 2024

Something ain’t Smellin’ Right

 "I heard my mom asking our neighbor for some salt. 
We had salt at home, so I asked her why she was asking.
She told me, "They don't have much money and they sometimes ask us for things. I asked for something small that wouldn't burden them. I want them to feel as if we need them too. That way, it will be much easier for them to ask us for anything they need."


This story has been percolating for a while. It bubbles up every so often because it’s confusing to me. At first blush, I was impressed by this idea. To kindly inform someone that we are available to help seems admirable. It appears that we are moving in the right direction. 

“But something ain’t smellin’ right.”

More than a decade ago, I read a small book, “When Helping Hurts: How to Alleviate Poverty Without Hurting the Poor … And Yourself”.

I faintly remember various pieces of advice discussed by the author, Steve Corbett. I searched for this resource to reconcile my confusion about the above little story. After all this time, the book has disappeared - as they tend to do. Well, Google never gets lost – so I asked.

And Google answered. Here are 3 quotes from the book. Perhaps you’ve noticed what was hidden from me, the cause of the disturbance, the reason for dissonance, the impetus of unresolved agitation. 


I.

“While poor people mention having a lack of material things, they tend to describe their condition in far more psychological and social terms than our North American audiences. Poor people typically talk in terms of shame, inferiority, powerlessness, humiliation, fear, hopelessness, depression, social isolation, and voicelessness. North American audiences tend to emphasize a lack of material things such as food, money, clean water, medicine, housing, etc.”

In the story above, psychological and social issues are not considered. The mom’s actions say, “I will ask for a cheap material item that I do not need and then you can be embarrass-free when asking for your needs.” 

Well, nobody wants to ask anything from the GREAT AND POWERFUL OZ.

 

II.

 "But it looks ahead. It encourages us to see the dignity in everyone, to empower the materially poor, and to know that we are all uniquely needy—and that God in the gospel is reconciling all things to himself."

Is this what the mom is doing? “We’ll just stop by real quick like with our little container, ask for some salt, and be on our way. That will make our neighbor feel good about asking us, too.” 

This is hardly any type of dignity-encouraging scenario.

I believe this approach is called, “The Great White Savior”.


III.

“Poverty is the result of relationships that do not work, that are not just, that are not for life, that are not harmonious or enjoyable. Poverty is the absence of shalom in all its meanings.”

This last quote runs deeper in thought than the others. If the premise is assumed to be true (poverty results from failed relationships - this includes customs, laws, and traditions), the way back must be through healthy relationships. 

The wrong way to start any relationship is by lying. 

If the neighbor ever discovers the intentional manipulation embedded in this story, all participants will be deeply hurt and the poverty of one will get worse. The condescension robbed the neighbor once again as it reinforces the hurt of another unjust and unenjoyable relationship. There can be no peace and even hope has been decimated.


Justice, generosity, freedom, respect, and love are all valuable to our communal experience and existence. I struggled to identify the issue with that one little story. I need to remind myself what living like Jesus means. No surprise there.

Starting. Again.


Have a great holiday weekend! 

No comments: