Sunday, October 4, 2020

It Takes So Little

Appreciation.  I cannot imagine that anyone would deny the importance of gratitude.  I could be wrong, but I just can’t imagine it.

It would seem logical that every one of us likes receiving the occasional pat-on-the-back.  It seems appropriate that recognition for a job well done be a regular occurrence.  

Yeah, I know.  Blah, blah, blah.  This observation is so ordinary as to be inconsequential.  Apparently, I have depleted my store of wisdom, assuming there was a time when the shelves were full.  I now have only the ability to regurgitate what we all know so well.  A Google search for ‘gratitude’ yields 181 million returns.  Already done.  Move on. 

I wish I could.

But I can make this short.

The second Sunday in October (yes, already October) is designated as Pastor Appreciation Day.  

Several months ago, I wrote Save the Date and mentioned just some of what we expect of those serving us in roles of ministry.  Looking up this article, I noticed that it was written on February 23rd of this year.  

Only a couple of weeks later, the world changed.  It became much more difficult for most of us to function and severe modifications to daily life ensued.  

If you think about it, the role of a priest, pastor, leader, author, or counselor changed as well.  Not only did we need the advice, the encouragement, and the guidance of those dedicating their lives to such things, but circumstances dictated that MORE was required.  

And while these incredible men and women strived to provide this ‘more’, they were forced to accomplish an elevated job description in a vacuum.  No longer able to surround themselves with those they shepherd, they were placed in bubbles with video as their only friend.  Additionally, the personal support network helping them walk their chosen path was suddenly removed as well. 

What was frequently a lonely career of self-sacrificing love had become intolerably isolated. And yet, I am willing to bet that not once have you heard one of these leaders complain or even mention this challenge.

It is ours to recognize.  It is ours to speak into the lives of those we count on as they lead, guide, and assist while we navigate this world.  

You probably have a favorite priest, pastor, leader, author, or counselor that has made a difference in your life. I pray that you will find a way to let them know how much their efforts are valued. 

The elders who direct the affairs of the church well are worthy of double honor, especially those whose work is preaching and teaching. 1 Timothy 5:17


No comments: