Sunday, October 11, 2020

Repetition

I need to be reminded.  I need to be reminded ALL the time!

They say a person needs 21 days to develop a habit.  I suspect it doesn't matter if the habit is good or bad.  

They say that when you've committed to something (like exercise), it's okay to skip a day but never skip two in a row.  You will then have destroyed any momentum to continue.

In marketing, there is something called the "Rule of 7". in which 'they say' it takes seven impressions to reach the desired result. 

I'm not really sure who 'they' are, but if you use Google, you can find all kinds of them.  Let's say, for argument's sake, 'they' are right.

So then, here's another, 'they say'.  

"Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

If anyone has been around any church for any length of time, one would think we'd have this one down pat. If we prayed once an hour for 7 hours, we've fulfilled the Rule of 7.  If we have prayed in thanksgiving for 3 weeks, we should be good to go.  Even if we skipped 2 days, we could get back on track easily enough since we're been doing this kind of thing for years!

I need to be reminded.  I need to be reminded ALL the time!  

I decided to find a way to do this.  Since we 'live' on and through our 'phones' (why are they still called phones?) I assumed there would be an app for that and sure enough, there was.  Lots of them.  

Since I have an android phone, I checked Playstore finding a few different apps but settled eventually on Repeat Alarm.  I set it to remind me at the top of each hour starting at 8:00 AM and ending at 8:00 PM every single day.  Silently the screen lights up and reminds me that I need to talk with Jesus.  It waits 15 seconds and then asks, "Did you do this?".  There is a text box where I can enter my thoughts.  And for the past 6 months or so, I've not missed a single entry.  This is 'technically' true because I've missed them and gone back and entered my prayers, thoughts, comments, and feelings, at a later time.

Sometimes, I'm pleasantly surprised when the reminder lights up.  Sometimes I'm actually annoyed. But, believe it or not, there are many times when I look at the phone, see the time, and wait for the top of the hour so that I can let Him know what is on my mind.

Even now, I don't know if I would be able to do this on my own.  The days get so busy that if I didn't have this app, I'd revert back to praying maybe once or twice during the course of any day.  Maybe I'll call this the Rule of Forever or something.  

Just a side thought; How did they manage this 2,000 years ago?!!

It's almost 8:00 AM, now.  I think I'll wait and when it asks, I'll write that I'm grateful to be living in the world of things like Repeat Alarm.

Have a great week!





No comments: