Sunday, September 27, 2020

One-Man Performance

Act 1 - Unplugged.

Connected to the wall and attached to the iPad, the cord is frayed and will soon fail to do its job.  The pleasures of Hulu, YouTube, and FaceTime will cease to exist.

Additionally, a small blue light speaks to warn of a keyboard that is no longer accepting the charge it is designed to embrace.  Sound adjustments will become more difficult and disappointment will surely ensue if the expectation is to see newly typed words on the screen.

***

Act 2 - Construction without Warning.  

A typical 7-minute drive has surprisingly become nearly 30 with the unexpected introduction of road construction revealed when cresting the small hill.  


***

Act 3 - Confirmed Appointment.

An hour is available for this appointment.  Throwing a couple of trash bags in the back of the car,  it's time to get moving. Waving to a few neighbors, the journey begins early to prevent tardiness caused by the road construction I know to exist.  

It takes driving only a few minutes to realize that I have forgotten to drop the bags in the bin on my way out of the complex. Turning around is required and my wiggle room has been diminished.  

***

Act 4 - Choices

Returning home, I dropped the trash off where it belongs.  But a choice was now being presented. One of the neighbors is having a yard sale.  Another one is buying a dresser. I have ‘conveniently’ parked in front of both to drop off my ‘packages’.  

Noticing that an attempt was being made to load said dresser into the back seat of a small car became an acute awareness that I was mere feet away from the struggle - with an SUV.  Be late or be helpful.  There could be only one right decision. 

We put the furniture into the back of my car and proceeded to my neighbors for the delivery.  Another choice showed up; Be neighborly or be rude.  Knowing full well that a time-eating conversation would now ensue, I chose ‘correctly’.  

I am certain that I looked the part of an all-in-to-help-someone-Good-Samaritan. But in all honesty, the thoughts running through my head revealed that I was someone else entirely.

When I finally got back on the road, the drive surprised me once again.  My anticipated delay had been eliminated as the crews had finished re-paving this road.  No longer pot-holed grey, the road was smooth, quiet, and very black.  Devoid of traffic, a pleasurable cruise brought me to my destination with time to spare. 

Since the return would be navigated on the route-reversed, I determined that time was available to make another stop where a charging cord for the iPad was purchased. The keyboard replacement was already on way from Amazon and will be here today.  All is well.

Act 5 - Lessons

  • Rushing for rushing’s sake is pointless.
  • Always do the right thing.  Consequences might ensue but relationships will be strengthened.  Imagined burdens might not even come to pass.
  • When opportunities for worthwhile action are presented, immediately do/say the right thing putting all concerns on hold.
  • Retracing steps is not always a bad thing.
  • When life needs repairs, spend the time necessary and do the work. The road will become safe, peaceful, and quiet. Travel time will be reduced.

Act 6 - Resolve

Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due when it is in your power to act. Proverbs 3:27

As a matter of fact, I think I'll spend some time this week with Proverbs 3.  as it seems to have a lot of good advice to help me with the necessary repairs.

No comments: