Sunday, February 23, 2020

Save The Date

For the past 14 months, I have succeeded in spending time every week conveying my spiritual thoughts through writing on this platform. For the most part, I think it’s been a great way to spend time with God, while recounting things I’ve seen, experienced, and learned.

These forays into the mind that directs the fingers have also been a source of forced self-reflection.  Behaviors, reactions, and internal self-talk are examined.  Laser pointed beams reveal shortcomings while I struggle to live (well lean towards is a better description) a Christ-like life.

But as of late, it seems I’m becoming a bit overloaded with my own advice. It might well be that my current work-life is oppressive.  Maybe some of this is generated because this season of the year creates long stretches where making the trip back home is impossible.  Perhaps there’s some exhaustion playing around the corners of daily life.



From recent articles, I’ve listed a sampling of this ‘advice’ to illustrate my point;
These are just the last 4 articles but it appears from my side of things that I am finding a distressing number of required improvements.  This is creating feelings of despair, inadequacy, and failure.  I don’t think this is God's plan for me – or for anybody.

 A few points to consider:
  1. I may have strayed a bit towards the negative while thinking that I was seeing something positive.  It’s not that I feel articles were in error or that they were not worth the time spent writing or reading them, but the focus was bending in the wrong direction, at least for now.
  2. It’s possible to lay waste to these feelings of I-will-never-be-good-enough by moving towards gratitude and generosity. Both of these concepts (and associated actions) focus on others leaving the cloak of self-doubt in tatters.
  3. Save the date.  October 11 is the second Sunday in October.  It’s also the celebrated yet unofficial Pastor/Clergy Appreciation Day.  
I apologize if that last one produced a bit of whiplash. Let me explain.

I’ve previously admitted that my inbox gets filled regularly with a variety of articles. This past week, two of these inbox intrusions referenced the difficult job undertaken by spiritual leaders.

I'm just a guy reporting how I personally try to make sense of relationships with God and neighbor. But as I read the articles, I realized how much of a personal commitment is made by those in all types of church leadership roles.  I began to understand how their undertaking on our behalf might seriously affect their own emotions, perceptions, and self-worth.

We demand that these shepherds;
  • Are available 24/7 to help people through some of the worst times of their lives.
  • Are mandated to give good advice at the drop of the hat whenever asked, but are criticized if that advice isn’t well accepted.
  • Are tasked with offering a professional choral troupe at every service, complete with a repertoire inclusive of all varieties of worship preferences - with volunteer musicians a given.
  • Are expected to present Broadway-inspired pulpit messages that are engaging, usually funny and always relevant – every single time. Oh, and they need to be brief because there’s probably a football game that’s starting soon.
Some of the points above just scratch the surface.  But all of the points above begin a process of exhaustion, self-doubt and a feeling of I-will-never-be-good-enough in the soul of many leaders as well as in the minds and hearts of the staff supporting them.

Because our ‘rules’ stipulate that those who minister must be ever confident, strong and embracing, there is a very good chance that we might never know their struggles. But, let’s be proactive. Let’s show generosity and gratefulness to those we look to for guidance, support, answers and connections to God and others.

Save the date, but you don’t have to wait until October.

No comments: