Sunday, November 24, 2019

Mea Culpa Mr. Rogers


I remember reading about Fred Rogers a year or two ago.  I remember thinking, “He sounds like a pretty amazing guy but, well he just sounds a little too good to be true.”

I remember the Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood television show and I remember taking pot-shots at this guy when in high school.  Everything was nerdy; the sweater, the tennis shoes, the glasses and even the way he talked.  I wasn’t alone in the game of ridicule – we all thought the whole thing was a “hokey kids show” (quote from A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood – just released with Tom Hanks playing Fred Rogers)



OK.  So now you know.  I bought tickets and spent 2 hours of my Saturday in a local movie theatre (a rare occasion by itself) watching a story about Mr. Rogers.  It was an early show-time and since it seemed that the 2 dozen people relaxing in the stadium seating recliners were over 70, I was happy to believe that I was the youngest person there.  Walking in with popcorn in hand, I wondered how many of these septuagenarians were there due to guilt (like me) or were there due to nostalgia.

I was already more than convinced that I had been wrong about his character and dismissive of his contribution to this world. If one looked only at the longevity of his television productions, the staying power of 31 seasons must mean there is something substantial to investigate.

During the movie, I used my cell phone to take notes.  I could probably write a number of posts as a result. But let me just include the highlights as it’s probably best that you go see this movie, if you ask me.  Well, even if you don’t, actually.
  • “Do you know what that means?  To forgive?” (One of the episodes depicted in the movie concentrates on a new friend (Lloyd Vogel, played by Matthew Rhys) who was hurt and hurt someone else.)
  • “What’s the most important thing right now?” (This was an interview question from the interviewee, Fred Rogers to Lloyd Vogel, the interviewer.  Without a response, the question is answered by pointing out that the most important thing to be doing at this moment, is engaging with the person you are with.  Be present.  Be aware.  Care about this most important thing right now.)
  • “Maybe it sometimes takes 2 adults to set up a tent”. (During the filming of one episode, Mr. Roger’s has difficulty setting up a tent.  The director thinks it should be done again so as not to be embarrassing.  Mr. Rogers disagrees stating that children need to know that adults need help too.)
  • “I just don’t know if he’s real.” (This statement by Lloyd Vogel along with the ‘hokey’ quote above are included here because of, well, the guilt, I guess)
  • “There are lots of ways to deal with anger.” (Fred answers a question about why he does this work stating that it’s to give children positive ways to deal with feelings. Fred’s examples include swim as hard and fast as you can, pound on clay, strike the lowest keys on a piano.)
  • “Anything that’s human is mentionable and anything that is mentionable can be manageable.” (A statement Fred Rogers makes as the family members of Lloyd sit around the deathbed of Lloyd's father.  As silence ensues, he reassures people that talking about death need not be avoided.  
The movie includes a couple of very touching scenes as well.
  • On a standing-room-only subway ride in New York, a group of children do not approach Mr. Rogers but instead, begin singing the theme song from his show.  The whole train joins in. 
  • Eating a vegetarian meal with Lloyd, Mr. Rogers is very aware of the struggles of his new friend.  He asks for a favor.  He asks for one minute of silence while both he and Lloyd silently name each person that has ‘loved us into being’.  The patrons of the restaurant become still and quiet as they do the same thing.
Well, this post is certainly getting too long.  And, we could talk about Daniel, the puppet or even the emotional leaks displayed by Mr. Rogers while filming.  We could examine Mr. Roger's slow, thoughtful and deliberate speech.  But, the bottom line is this; Fred Rogers was an example of what it is like to live as Christ lives in us.  He’s not perfect and neither are we.  But as I watched the movie, I was convicted; I can do better.



Notes;
After seeing the movie, I did a little more digging about the show, its authenticity and its purpose because it is, of course, entertainment.  I found that there’s enough truth here to motivate me.  There are enough current-day examples to make me think about things just a little deeper than I normally do.  There is enough substance for me to say, “I’m sorry that I treated you so poorly, Fred.”  And there is enough humanity and Christ-likeness for me to be certain I am forgiven.

I am, however, glad research FOLLOWED the time spent in theater.

In case you’re interested, a couple of those research links are included.
How Accurate is A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood?
Mr. Rogers: Did A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood’s Train Scene Really Happen?

No comments: