Sunday, November 10, 2019

Wired for Connection

My office neighbors share space and that seems to work well for them.  They collaborate, they solve problems and I can hear them having a good time in the midst of an extraordinary work-load.

I am called to consult with them several times a day and, admitting that it drives me crazy, this is what I see.  The neighbors don’t seem to mind.  They are working away looking at monitors and keyboards with no need to look at the floor.



I asked them one day about this abomination.  They told me that IT got them working and gave them some cable-ties in case they wanted to ‘fix’ things around their feet.  Since they moved in a while ago, I just have to accept that floor level doesn’t matter to them.

Just look at all those wires connecting computers, monitors, printers, phones, chargers, electricity, Internet and well, I don’t know what.  I’ve seriously considered going in some weekend and cleaning it up.  That ‘we don’t care about it’ issue makes me believe my time could be better spent.

Maybe their IT issues should be left alone in favor of 'MY-T' issues.

When that hit my brain, two things happened.  I started thinking of all those wires connecting me to my job, my family, my relationships, my friends, my errands, my hobbies (I can dream), my – well, everything that makes up life!

I need them all to work but if something goes wrong, could I find the problem?  Could I find the right connection point to see if the wire is plugged-in or loose or broken?  Is my life such a bundle of twisted and tangled wires that it would be too much to even make the attempt?

I realized that I need to unbend, straighten, clip and tie-up all of those wires to make future repairs smoother and easier. After all, we are wired for these connections.  They are the life-blood of “loving neighbor as myself”.

Making those connections clean would actually be part 2, though.

Part 1 and the second thing spinning around the whole ‘IT vs. My-T’ thing is called “loving God with my whole heart”.  This vital connection must always be working.  This one is the power feeding my needs and all the connections that are me.

As I work to clean up the tangled mess of life, I’ll start with the power and then make sure that every other connection works from there.

Oh, and I guess there’s one more thing.  IT is just a department that takes care of connectivity.  My-T actually centers on ‘Mighty’.  (Yea, just a corny play on words, but it’s stuck in my head now!)

No comments: