Friday, July 24, 2015

Amazing Grace

Whether or not you're a frequent in-the-pew kind of person, I'm thinking it impossible that you'd be unfamiliar with this hymn. It's journey began in 1733 and with a few changes along the way, remains in wide use today.

For more information, Click here.

I was reminded this past week of an "attitude" that always seemed to rear up when listening to (or when forced to sing) this song.  Boring.  Uninteresting.  Not so very challenging.  WHY are we singing this one - again!


The first time I recognized this bias, I was with a choir singing for a funeral.  And there I was, harboring all of those ugly thoughts about this piece of music.  When we began to sing, I looked up from the hymnal.

The church was full.  As family and friends reflected, remembered and listened, I saw many begin to break.  Sure, they'd heard this piece before.  But here's where it becomes important - it meant something to them!  It gave them a moment to grieve, to feel the pain of loss and to console one another.

Realizing that singing in a choir is ministry, it became critical that this offering be heart-felt, tender and loving.  Music is a gift from God and as such, it can heal.  Suddenly, I was no longer annoyed by this ancient arrangement of lyrics and notes.  That day, it healed me as well.

This past Tuesday, I was in the congregation as we said farewell and God's peace to an old friend.  I proudly sang Amazing Grace with everyone else.  And people cried and laughed and remembered and grieved and loved.

Rest in the arms of God's amazing grace, Shirley.


No comments: