Sunday, August 4, 2024

Owning My Becoming - In the Now

Occasionally, I find it difficult to find a topic. When this happens, I look back at ideas, notes, half-written articles, and even sermon scribbles from the past. There are thousands of these sources now. 

But, in the back of my mind and heart, there is a problem with reviewing old documentation for new article stimulation.

I am trying to use circumstances, situations, and other input from current dates to keep myself focused on living a life true to Jesus in the ‘now’.

Although there is nothing wrong with keeping these notes, as they will always bring me to a point of reflection, there must have been a reason that I rejected writing about them when they occurred. Resurrecting them now seems like I am being untrue to my goal - like I’m cheating.

Well, I looked back anyway but while reviewing one of the half-written proposals, I suddenly realized these words were not mine. I could not recognize myself in the words and yet agreed with what they told me. Further exploration revealed that this wasn’t a draft, but a published essay including a hyperlink pointing to - someone else. It had been placed in the folder for research.

I’ll give you another scenario. Twice now, I have taken my fully completed article and submitted the entire thing to an AI program asking that it re-create my words making them more engaging. Both times, I was impressed with the results. In my estimation, the AI fulfilled my request admirably. Although tempted (really!), I dutifully posted my text rather than the improved, but computer-generated, output.

You would have read the AI article knowing that I had not written the words. Even though the text was much improved, I think we both would have lost something. 

My personal commitment to this forum indicates that it is a bad idea to pull articles from historical stockpiles and the same applies to using computer-generated prose. So where are we going here? 

I, not reluctantly in any way, concede that my words don’t always take the most exciting path forward. What I don’t have to surrender is a personally unique work product. What you read is not a ‘translated’ version of me, it is not an ‘I-stole-this-concept-from’ version either. It’s well, just me.

And suddenly, I have the topic for today. The concept is “in the now” as it is not yesterday’s news and it’s not artificial intelligence. It’s a ‘me’ article about what we own and how we move around in our worlds. It’s about being tethered to our personal integrity, ingenuity, and uniqueness in everything we do or think.

I remember hearing that we have standards. Well, I’m hopeful. We choose our actions and reactions. We decide what makes life better and what makes life worse. That’s our human nature. We consider and make our selection: Is this the right thing to do, at this time, and for the right reason? Or is it not?

We own our thoughts, experiences, and beliefs. These help us to make good choices. 

Usually. 

Ann H. - Pexels

But are we more than certain about our current point of view? Have we made today's worldview our own through careful consideration, experience, and research? Or, have we simply jumped onto the loud bandwagon of others? 

Have we worked to understand as much as possible before choosing or did we base the choice on gut feeling?

Will this decision compromise our beliefs in any way? Will we override our automatic belief-generated hesitation to act in a way that destroys a piece of our integrity? Are we required to justify our actions when they fall outside the lines of our core beliefs?

You’ll notice the underlined text in the previous paragraph. I mention this because most of us are hardwired in a way that warns us when we’re about to cross the line. If it were software, it would be a pop-up that reads, “Are you sure you want to do this?” You may then click “OK” to continue and override the dialogue box or you can choose to cancel and hang on to who you are and experience the growth of who you are meant to be.

This is the very moment that will decide what we own. Do we own ourselves and our journey of becoming or are we subject to manipulation, deceit, greed, or any number of possible derailments that cause us to ignore warnings and act against our ‘this is who I am’ person? 

One moment will decide if we are who we think we are. One decision will decide who ‘me’ really is.

Well, lots of you, me and we statements have been included to make the point that we are responsible for who we are. I'd like to be clear, however. We are not done. We are on a pathway, a journey to become and that is the person that needs today's attention. Our goal is to make certain that our future 'who I am' is a better version of today's 'who I am.' We do this by carefully and diligently guarding our thoughts, our actions, and our everyday decisions. 

But when we discover that we may have strayed, taken the wrong turn somewhere, or even deliberately traded some of who we are for something else, we can begin again. We can turn around and re-discover who we are meant to be. That's called grace in the form of forgiveness.


There’s an adage you’ve probably heard. “Be true to yourself.”

And maybe you’ve heard this one too. 

“His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’ Matthew 25:21

Daily, we have the opportunity to manage those few things. I pray that one day, we will all hear the words, “Well done good and faithful servant,” as we enjoy our Master’s happiness. 

No comments: