Sunday, July 28, 2024

Olympic Dreams

As a former member of the Professional Ski Instructors of America, I remember September as the month I began glancing skyward. I never wanted to miss those first few flakes even knowing that they were destined to disappear the moment they touched so much as a blade of grass. Few of you would call that normal. 

As a reminder, I have never proposed that I am any such thing. I guess that has been the case throughout my years on earth as it still rings true. Weirdness reigns.

This week we entered the season of the 2024 Summer Olympics. Traditionally, I have been much more involved in the hype and excitement of the Winter Games, but I will certainly watch segments of this year's experience. It’s impressive to note there are 32 categories of sporting events, but I count 39 different contest activities. I just might have to peek at the newest, breakdancing.

Anyway, back to my reminiscing because of this world-encompassing 2024 event, 

My first exposure to the Winter Olympic Games saw me watching the 1964 Alpine events broadcast from Innsbruck, Austria. By 1968, I could not wait for the events to start in Grenoble, France. I remember intently watching Jean Claude Killy (France) and Peggy Fleming (USA) as they competed in their respective events. 

It was also during those 1968 games that I first heard the Olympic Theme Song, Bugler’s Dream (Leo Arnaud) on NBC. It’s been modified over the years, but the spine-chilling emotion is all-encompassing even today.

In my mind, there has always been a call to hear and see what’s possible when watching these Games. I witness “The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.” I empathize with the defeated and relish the victory along with the participants. But there’s much more in my heart and soul.

I see the world differently, at least for a couple of weeks. I watch the 200+ international flags displayed above their respective national competitors. Everyone. Everyone is smiling – even at their soon-to-be adversaries. Despite the intense win/lose propositions after years of training and pain, the contestants appear united and accepting of each other. And I can’t help but dream.

What’s my favorite part of the Olympic Games?

  • The lighting of the Olympic Cauldron. It’s the beginning of what I see as unity for all.
  • The Olympic Theme Song (John Williams). It’s what rings in my mind for weeks during the games and well beyond as it keeps these wishful thoughts alive.
  • The revealing surprises, both good and bad, as we recognize our strengths and weaknesses but also our ability to survive and thrive - together.


In my self-proclaimed weirdness, I hope.

We are created in the Image of God and every once in a while, we can act like it. There's hope even if these fragile flakes of unity and kindness "disappear the moment they touch so much as a blade of grass."


In my self-proclaimed weirdness, I believe.

"I believe in the power that comes
From a world brought together as one
I believe together we'll fly
I believe in the power of you and I"


In my self-proclaimed weirdness, I pray

“I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession, and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.” 1 Timothy 2:1-2 

No comments: