Sunday, August 11, 2024

Remembering Covid

It’s never going away. 

Sure, the days of struggling to understand, the confusion, the questioning of whether anything will ever be the same, and the isolation have abated. Although the virus has not departed, we’re better prepared, we understand more, and we have medications and equipment. Yes, we even have toilet paper.

But going through those difficult times will never be forgotten. This dark era has left its mark on us in many ways. We remember.

I remember being so completely disappointed. It wasn’t the things mentioned above, exactly It was things like this:

  • I remember my mother’s joyfulness being stripped away from her as the new care facility she had entered only a few months before, was now closed to the visits of those she loved. She was tough and had no issues at first, but as time wore on, she wore out. 
  • I remember my hope that we would come together. We would be there for each other. We would be the neighbors we always knew we could be. We would sacrifice for the sake of others as early Christians had done. 
  • I remember that hope being dashed against the stone. No, our culture said, “You can’t make me.” Our people revolted under the freedom of religion clause demanding that churches stay open for the faithful as is our “right”. 
  • I remember thinking this can’t be right. An act of love and caring would tell me that we should not harm those in our congregations. We should not put others at risk, and we should sacrifice for their health as loving people. 

But today, I also remembered that people found creative and beautiful ways to stay together in prayer – and song. What a gift, the human vocal cords. How amazing the whole idea that people can sing at all, truth be told. (Spend a moment just thinking about someone opening their mouth and hitting the notes precisely – no piano keys, no French horn valves, no violin strings, just . . .) 


I remember the time and talent of artists and participants creatively putting together the offering of SATB arrangements. Although separated by miles, they worked diligently to bring everyone hope. I remember and fall to my knees in gratefulness. 

Let us keep singing in times of trouble.


Well, this imported .pdf file doesn’t look the greatest, but the links work. Watch and listen. See and hear what can happen when the anger of many is tempered by the touch of others. This is truly a gift of love in a difficult time.

No comments: