Sunday, August 18, 2024

What Do I Know

Hey - I know things!

  • 2 + 2 = 4. Time-tested and proven.
  • If I drop a pan of fully cooked lasagna, it will end up on the floor in short order (not a pun).
  • We need water to survive, so drink up. 

There’s a place for using the words, “I know!” But in my opinion, we seemingly accept a brutalization of this word in our daily conversations. Like the well-used word love, the definitions have been watered down to a point where both words (love and know) have begun to warp. The words mean less than the combination of letters that make them up.  

I think we all know those 3 examples listed above are true. 

  • But what if someone ‘knows’ they don’t need water and refuses to drink?  With a sad face including a teardrop or two, we might suggest an appointment at the nearest funeral home. 
  • If someone says, “Gravity is fake news,” I’m going to be on my knees praying this person is not a commercial airline pilot. 
  • And that math problem?  I think there needs to be a law that states, “All those who deny simple math equations are forbidden from building bridges, skyscrapers, and cars.” We could think about making exceptions for sandcastles, but that’s it.

OK. I know that these simple examples border ridiculous. They work as pathfinders toward examining more complex truth, however. For instance, some have proposed that we are not capable of ‘knowing’ anything since knowledge is based on "facts, information, and skills acquired by a person through experience or education." (Oxford Languages)

Because the definition refers to experience and education (personally variable), I suspect that in some matters we truly cannot know for certain. And let's not forget the word, "Facts." Some have proposed that there are 'alternative facts' that apparently hold the same weight as what, the original facts? I don't know. I just can't get my mind around that idea.

What we know (or think we know) needs to be held in reserve - held lightly, that is. Our knowledge is based on our available information. If that information changes due to the expansion of technology or maybe new discoveries, the knowledge proclaimed might need to be replaced with new knowledge based on these new facts. It's okay to change our minds. 

It is, right?

I am contemplating an idea to replace my “I know” with “I am convinced.” 

This seems more gentile, more accepting, and much less confrontational. It conveys that I have done my due diligence, and I have examined my experiences. The research has brought me to a point where the answers to my questions are acceptable. I am now committed to what I believe is knowledge. 

The new phrase also leaves the door open for future informational or experiential changes that might affect critical evaluations and beliefs.

But, all said, there is one major factor in my decision to use new wording. 

“I know” assertions detrimentally affect communications. 

  • They automatically close doors. Firmly. 
  • They draw a line in the sand. This is a non-productive kind of a double dare, I think.
  • They build walls between us. Mexico will not contribute. Just us here.

I don’t know – pick one or use your own. What I’m trying to point out is that they divide us. When ‘we know’, we’ve indicated that disagreement can only exist if you’re not very smart. This is the least offensive way I could say this. 

Words matter. Words matter along with truth, sincerity, and the desire to communicate effectively with an openness to listen. I’m sure that if I start paying attention to the common words and phrases that I use in daily conversations and correspondence, I will find more ways to temper any judgmentally firm stances while leaving the door open, the manicured sand undisturbed, and nothing but open prairies between me and others. 



But, it's certainly possible that someone could say to me, "What do YOU know?" 
My answer must be, "I know I need to try harder."


“Therefore, let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister. I am convinced, being fully persuaded in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for that person it is unclean. If your brother or sister is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy someone for whom Christ died.” Romans 14:13-15 whom Christ died.” Romans 14:13-15

No comments: