Sunday, April 21, 2024

Oppositional Compatibility

The title might point you to my ignorance, but believe it or not, it was intentional.

Let’s start with the issue of the week. At the bottom of this article, you’ll find links that apply.

I have not given up. I still want to see Everybody Deserves move forward. I have indeed invested a few hundred dollars in this idea. I seek not a return on investment dollars, but a Return On Relationships and Community. 

But it’s hard. This RORC invites challenges in every area.

  1. Buy-in 
  2. Follow up
  3. Execution
  4. Recorded Results

As much as I wish it wasn’t so, I am alone in this endeavor. I have reached only one successful conclusion, which isn’t enough to generate buy-in. I also dropped the ball. But the baton was picked up once again in the past couple of weeks.

I had been shopping on a busier than normal weekend. I tried to pick the quickest check-out lane but as usual, I engaged with the eternal line. It wasn’t lengthy but the couple ahead of me were having problems. 

Looking around for a ‘moving’ queue, I suddenly felt like I should stay where I was – where I belonged. What?

A deep breath calmed the urge to flee the invisible ‘X’ that kept my feet planted where they were.  A store employee had come over to help these two people so it probably wouldn’t be long. But, as the discussions continued and people began digging through already bagged and carted items, I got a distinct feeling that an overpurchase was the issue. 

The store clerk left the area, and I thought that perhaps, I had been kept there to contribute to the couple’s shortage. As I approached the bottleneck, the employee returned with thirty dollars to help. I stepped back. 

As it turns out, the solution fell short. Again, the three people ahead of me started managing the many bags to find items that could be removed. But I was right there now. I asked and was told they were short $15.00. Let’s take care of this, then. The couple voiced embarrassment and gratitude and moved to their parked car. I was able to do the same.

Before I did, I went up to the employee. Her name was Mary, and the thirty dollars came from her purse. Above and beyond, I thought and told her I was proud to have met her. It’s just not a common thing to see someone help a stranger.

By the time I was home, a plan had taken shape. I would work to have Mary presented with the Everybody Deserves Clapping-Hands sculpture. On Monday, I made the call. The Store Manager was busy, but the Assistant Manager would talk with me.  Sam listened to my plea. I was not concerned that I would deliver the recognition, only that the recognition was delivered by someone. I hoped it could be done during a normal group meeting. I was careful to note that Mary should be approached before the presentation so that it would not embarrass her. I added that the presentation wouldn’t be any kind of a goal for others but only noting the generosity of one of their own. Sam told me that the Store Manager would call the next day.

A week went by without the expected call.

I took the statue with me and returned to the store with pictures of what's-in-the-box. I was there for over an hour. Again, the Store Manager was busy. Another Assistant was finally dispatched to, for lack of a better word, dispatch me.

I was told that this kind of thing was against store policy. They are concerned that things like this could be considered bribes. They do not want to encourage employees to step out of line and perhaps cheat the company. 

They offered to make Mary their "Employee of the Week" and post her photo on a billboard. They told me where this recognition poster would be found and suggested that I come back in one week to see her picture on the wall. 

On Monday, I stopped again only to see nothing of the kind.

All I can do now is hope that in her heart, Mary knows that she did an amazing thing for another stranger. I’m betting that she doesn’t need the recognition. I believe that isn’t why she offered her funds to the couple in the first place. It was just ‘right’ in her mind to do this.

My disappointment lies in the state of the world. We have rules against being nice to one another. Are we to let this be?

I will not stop the process. I will continue to look for opportunities to recognize unsung heroes. What have I got to lose? I have a dozen of those statues sitting in a closet, anyway. 😊 I believe they should be on someone’s mantel.

This long story pointed me to the title.

I remember two songs that climbed from unconscious to full consciousness because of this event. One is about a hero who bemoans the difficulty of being this hero. The other brings to mind how difficult it is to be who we were made to be. In a way, there’s a correlation here even though the two are not completely complimentary.

That’s just how I think sometimes. And with that thought, maybe pretend you’re at a wedding.

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails." 1 Corinthians 13:4-7


"I can't stand to fly
I'm not that naive
I'm just out to find
The better part of me."
Superman (It's Not Easy) lyrics © Five For Fighting Music

"When green is all there is to be
It could make you wonder why
But, why wonder? Why wonder?
I'm green and it'll do fine
It's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be"
It’s Not Easy Being Green – Kermit the Frog

I think it's time to supplant, "There is nothing more I can do, with "Don't Give Up."

Everybody Deserves

No comments: