Sunday, March 12, 2023

Washing Our Hands

Over the past few years, we’ve once again learned that washing our hands is a good thing, speaking hygienically, of course.

But what caught my attention was another common phrase created by adding the words, "Of it."

"Washing our hands of it," got me thinking.  I wondered how often I might not say those words but might act on the statement itself. I began to consider that underneath daily thoughts and actions, perhaps I make decisions based on that cliché’ without realizing it.

Food for thought revealed that these five words probably correlate directly to, “There is nothing more I can do.” This sentence we hear often.

  • A diagnosis followed by several attempts to treat illness eventually becomes, “There is nothing more we can do.” 
  • A teacher exasperated by one unruly child throws his hands up with the utterance, “There is nothing more I can do.”
  • A mechanic who, after trying his best to fix old machinery, walks away shaking his head exclaiming, “It’s finished, there is nothing more I can do.”

When these words find a voice, it typically means the death of something.  The car needs to be replaced. Cancer runs its course and takes a life. A child’s future will be forever altered.

The end. It is finished. No further attempts will be made. It is time to walk away.

 

In some cases, despite our efforts, it truly is time to call it a day. When this happens, we mourn. We might also close our minds and hearts, consider that we will stop ‘throwing good money after bad’, and move on.

Perhaps we have determined that the act of giving up is due to circumstances that we recognize as futile. There truly is nothing more to be done. But I would also point to the possibility that it's premature to throw in the towel’.

It is worth the effort to determine if the nearly automatic-without-thought decision to stop trying is based on a lie. This prevarication shows up often because it is affiliated with more than an analysis of success vs. futility.

The next time I recognize (which admittedly is very difficult to do) that I might be acquiescing to a lie, I need to stop and consider the following excuses.

  • I am just too tired.
  • I have done enough.
  • I don't like that person.
  • I can't afford it.
  • It really makes no difference anyway.
  • I want to avoid getting involved.
  • They didn't ask me.
  • I don't care.
  • I am in a hurry.
  • It's too late.
  • I am over it.

If a decision is made that the situation is truly unsolvable and futile, I move on. If, however, I suspect that all is not hopeless, the dilemma seeks resolution. 

I must either override the excuses with an immediate determination to continue CPR on whatever problem I see before me or bolster the excuse(s) with creative rationalization. 

There is a bible story about a woman who was bleeding for 12 years and had tried all manners of treatment. Her condition seemed hopeless. She was, however, not done yet and approached Jesus risking everything to do so. She touched his cloak and in her last-ditch gamble, she was healed.

http://www.juliastankova.com/
Bulgarian Icon Artist

There's another story about a few friends bringing their paralyzed friend to Jesus. A standing-room-only situation prevented them from getting anywhere near Him. Instead of saying, "There is nothing more we can do", they carried him up and after cutting a hole in the roof above Jesus, they lowered him down ending in, "Your sins are forgiven", and he was cured.

Right. I get it. These miracles were performed by God and there's nothing small about them. But the people in these stories did not give up. They didn't let any of the above-mentioned excuses deter them.

We should continue to hold the problems faced by us and our neighbors in prayer. 

We should consider that overriding our excuses in favor of action might be the answer to another's prayer.

I think I will focus on replacing, "I'm washing my hands of it" with, "Please Lord, I see this person in front of me struggling. They're tired and overwhelmed. Show me how I might love them the way You do. Guide me towards compassion and action if this is Your will."

I think it's time to supplant, "There is nothing more I can do, with "Don't Give Up."

No comments: