Sunday, January 28, 2024

dum spiro, spero

OUCH!

Breath quickens as frustration takes hold. It’s just for a second as I examine the damage. Although it was violently clipped, the foot and its toes will be okay. There is no permanent damage. Nothing is broken. 

The remnants of this event are clear. A new landscape has been created in the living room. Rolling hills of black dirt sporting green stems and leaves cover the floor. At center stage in this new scenery sits an upended ceramic pot spilling its contents in a large mound. What was an ancient Spider Plant has crashed and will be in dire need of intensive care. 

I took a deep breath. Not so bad. I can deal. 

I took another, longer and deeper breath. What I thought was a large bruise on my left foot turned out to be nothing more than the smudges of darkness caused by spilling earth.  Grateful.

One more deep breath and I was ready. I began the work. Without adding to the devastation, I carefully picked up the container while assessing its contents. I hoped that plant survival would be possible. 

OK. This, in the scope of our world today, is a very minor catastrophe. That’s my word because of the unintended cleanup forced on my Saturday afternoon. I was watering – the good thing, when the hook supporting this “focus on nature” broke – the bad thing. 

I found my reactions interesting. There might have been exclamations of profanity. There might even have been some indications of violence. After all, that’s what people do when faced with unexpected catastrophes, right? That seems obvious if you read the news.

I suspect that I could have just sat down with some beverage to wallow in the unfortunate situation that I found myself in. It’s common to wallow, right?

But somewhere along this path, I thought only, “Breathe.” Things became clear and perspective was achieved. A plan to move forward stepped up and actions began. 

Breath calms. Breath allows for planning. Breath begets hope. 

Wallowing cannot live.

Video: Hope vs Despair

I would bet that you discovered breathing techniques at some time in your life. Maybe like me, you’ve discarded them for one reason or another. I think I’m going to give this concept another shot. 

This article, although old, still applies to us now. But it reminds me that breathing for my mental health is just the tip of the benefits centered breathing administers. 

Physical health is included as well. More importantly, spiritual health benefits are also revealed: For me, for others when used in prayer, and for my relationship with God.

 

dum spiro, spero
While I breathe, I hope.


No comments: