Sunday, January 14, 2024

Cold Perspective

You might be expecting something specific with that title. But in a way, it’s a play on words. 

According to the social science of Psychology, decision-making can be hot or cold. Cold perspective decisions are made using only facts and are completely divorced from any emotional influence. “All we want are the facts, ma’am,” says Dragnet’s Joe Friday. (Links below)

A couple of years ago, I flirted with the idea of a series called Perspectives. I still have all the notes, and maybe someday, these articles will find your inbox. I considered things like age, pain, cultural status, the Grand Canyon, viewpoints, and a few more. 

But today, the play on words mentioned above refers directly to the temperature and current weather conditions.

For the past few days, we have experienced Winter Weather Advisories, Winter Weather Warnings, and Blizzard Warnings. We are now in the throes of a Wind Chill Warning in effect until sometime Tuesday.

I have ventured outside on several occasions in futile attempts to keep the sidewalks cleared from the days of non-stop snowfall.  Each time I geared up for a new excursion, it was a little colder with a little more wind when I picked up the shovel.

I used many pounds of “Ice Melt”. This was helpful a couple of days ago, but not any longer. The salt mixture is ineffective when the temperatures are well below zero.

Before coming back inside for the last time yesterday, I had been working on a drift of great size but had to stop well before cutting it back to ground level. Yes, it’s still there. Yes, it will remain there as it grew back overnight. 

Catching my breath, I pulled up the weather app. I just needed to see what the next week or so was going to be like. 

We will be hunkered down for a while as day after day, temperatures will refuse to reach zero degrees, However! I noticed that a week from Monday, temperatures are predicted to be above freezing! 



Cold Perspective. 

  • I feel a little warmer knowing that soon, we’ll be back to livable conditions.
  • I feel that the work done has come to an end.  Any snow or ice that remains will begin to melt.
  • I know that in 7 days, I can put these heavy boots and my parka away for a bit.
  • I look forward to the warmth of the sun.
  • And I learned a little bit more about Paul’s advice.

So, if you’re serious about living this new resurrection life with Christ, act like it. Pursue the things over which Christ presides. Don’t shuffle along, eyes to the ground, absorbed with the things right in front of you. Look up and be alert to what is going on around Christ—that’s where the action is. See things from his perspective. Colossians 3:1-2 MSG



No comments: