Sunday, January 21, 2024

Consider The Q and The A

Conversation starters are used to provide the other with a topic to open common dialogue. Generally speaking, these are questions.

I was reading an article that provided, in the writer’s opinion, good questions to be lobbed at someone to initiate a response and continued discussion.

Here are a few.

  1. Did you listen to anything interesting today?
  2. How much coffee did you drink today?
  3. What app did you open most today?
  4. Did you give anyone a side-eye today? What did they do to deserve it?

I would certainly agree with the idea of using questions as conversation starters. But the above seemed strange to me. In my mind, the questions need to trigger thought and detail. “Did you listen to anything interesting today? This could easily be answered with a simple, “No.” Of course, this will not encourage discussion but might very well become an awkward moment to be broken when one of the participants says, “I’m sorry.  I must answer my phone - that’s not ringing.”

The coffee and the app questions might seem intrusive or judgmental. A questioner might receive no response at all. And I wondered why someone would even ask the 4th question. 

We can all come up with questions. The point here might be to think about these things before finding ourselves in a position that requires one.

Here’s a few more from the article.

  1. When did you feel appreciated today?
  2. What made you laugh today?
  3. How can I make your day easier in 5 minutes?

We’re getting closer, I think. These questions elicit some positive responses from the person we’re hoping to converse with. I might discard the time limit on the third one, though. It sounds a little dismissive. “I’ve got 5 minutes to make you happy. What’s it gonna take?” Think; conversation over.

So how do we plan for the next conversation that needs to be started?

I suspect that the surroundings and the type of interactions would be important to consider. There could easily be inappropriate questions in one situation that would be excellent in another. This would mean that the question bag should include a variety of inquiries. 


At some point, we will be on the receiving end of a question from someone else. I hope that I take the time necessary to critically consider my responses and encourage dialogue.


At some point, we will also need to be prepared to answer these questions.

"Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?" (Luke 10:36)


"For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves?"  (Luke 22:27)


"Were not all ten cleansed? Where are the other nine?" (Luke 17:17)


"Do you love me? " (John 21:17)

No comments: