Sunday, June 25, 2023

Guidance from the Cocos nucifera

 

This is NOT a Coconut Palm. This is NOT one of my indoor plants either.

But this image, my indoor plants, and the cocos nucifera produced this day's musings.

Curious? 


It all begins with the natural occurrence of phototropism

I may have mentioned that I populated my trappings with several plants and that my youngest grandson has named each. He was here one day during the watering phase of the week and noted how a couple of them were leaning into the light. He's too young to explain this process but as it turns out, he is evidently not.

I decided to do some research and came across a picture of this coconut palm. I spent a little time reading about this tree and was somewhat surprised at what I learned.



My first impression of the photo told me that the tree was old and tired. Although it was trying hard to seek life and light, it would not be long before it completely collapsed. 

But after my exploration, I was stunned to learn what was actually going on.

This tree was very much alive. It was next to the beach as almost all Coconut Palms tend to be. It was defying the cultural wisdom of most trees by bending toward the wind as its roots grew away from the wind. This would seem to leave the plant more vulnerable to the violent winds of the sea. 

So then, questioning why would be proper. The answers to this query make perfect sense.

The tree grows towards the light due to phototropism. Its tendency is to grow towards the open water where most light will be found and away from the darkness of the other inhabitants close by. The tree is not really breaking wind-tolerance rules but paying greater attention to the main purpose - light. 

The tree is found along coastal regions because when the tree drops its seeds (the coconuts) for the sake of propagation, they float.  They end up on beaches somewhere and new crops develop.  

Other than just being interesting, here's the 'so what'.

I think I might decide to be much less concerned about the wisdom of the wind-tolerance rules of the world while focusing instead on the Light of Jesus.

I am hoping that I could turn away from the overpowering and tempting darkness of the world in favor of bending toward the Kingdom of God.

I think that I would enjoy dropping coconuts into the ocean as a way of creating new crops that would bend toward the light.

I think I am VERY tempted to buy my own cocos nucifera - $69.95 on sale! I guess the only thing stopping me now is the finances needed to own a small island in the Pacific. (Donations accepted!)

"In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." Mathew 5:16

No comments: