Sunday, July 2, 2023

The Land of the Free

This will be a weekend consisting of red-white-and-blue adornments, local parades, backyard grills, and sparklers in the hands of children all to be topped off with the oohs and ahhs spilling from neck-craning crowds gazing skyward as colors explode over lakes and fields.

Indeed, we celebrate living in this great country. And always, we acknowledge the sacrifice made by so many that allow for this privilege.

A pause here would be proper.





I am aware that we hold various definitions of 'freedom', and I will refrain from referring to anyone's translation of the word except for my own.  

In my own head based on my experience, consideration, and determination, I will start with what I think freedom is not.

  • It is not a license to do whatever I please.
  • It is not about my perceived entitlements.
  • It is not about guaranteed happiness.
  • It never oppresses.
  • It is never me over you.
  • Once granted, it does not dismiss responsibility or accountability.

So then. Is anybody still reading?

I would suspect that a definition based on negatives doesn't really define anything.  I will then make note of my thoughts about what freedom means to me, personally.

Sure, in this country, we are legally guaranteed some of these 'freedoms' which can be found in our country's Bill of Rights. Spending some time on educational refreshments of a civic nature would be a good idea - it's been a while.

At the same time, I will spend some time on spiritual refreshments as well. Since it is my belief that I am first to be a follower of His Kingdom, I will review some of the things that in my heart, I believe are fundamental to the freedom and peace offered by God. 

I crossed paths with the following prayer a while ago, but it found my consciousness this past week. 

Welcoming Prayer, Thomas Keating 

Welcome, welcome, welcome.   
I welcome everything that comes to me today  
because I know it’s for my healing.  
I welcome all thoughts, feelings, emotions, persons, situations, and conditions.   
I let go of my desire for power and control.   
I let go of my desire for affection, esteem, approval, and pleasure.   
I let go of my desire for survival and security.   
I let go of my desire to change any situation, condition, person, or myself.   
I open to the love and presence of God and God’s action within. Amen. 

Jesus was born a man, grew up laboring in a hot desert, traveled his corner of the world teaching and healing the sick (body and spirit) with little more than sandals and a stick, all the while moving towards a chosen death on a cross (for me), He let go of everything. 

And because of this, I am experiencing the freedom of knowing the Creator of all things.  I am allowed to make mistakes and enjoy the freedom of God's forgiving grace. I am freely welcomed (just as I am), loved (in spite of all faults), and included in this Kingdom of God as I valiantly struggle to follow the example and teaching of Jesus. 



"In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:

"Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death - even death on a cross!" Philippians 2:5-8

 

Maybe, freedom is, in all reality, best found by letting go. 

No comments: