Sunday, July 3, 2022

Good Morning, Everybody!

"Good morning."

It’s something we say all the time. Perhaps we say it so much that it has come to mean nothing, or even worse, an opportunity to disparage the anticipated day.

Perhaps you have been the recipient of these or similar replies.

  • If you say so.
  • Are you sure?
  • Good for what?
  • Lucky for you!
  • Like you care.
  • Could have fooled me
  • Is it?

I know.  In most of the above instances, it’s probably just a humorous way to respond. But not to repeat the obvious, IS IT?


I sometimes have one of 'those' days. Maybe you do too.  

Those are the days when waking up to the drudgery of what’s to come seems like it’s just not what I planned for my life!  What happened?

I also have days like these. Maybe you do too. 

These are the days when even before the alarm goes off, eyes are wide open, clear, and engaging. Feeling well rested, even the coffee smells and tastes better. And look at that! The irritating pain in my foot is gone today!


I like the second scenario more than the first. It seems that it happens by accident, but I want it to happen every day.  I want to be purposeful about it. It’s possible, you know.

Do you hate your job?  As soon as that thought enters your consciousness, remember the millions with no job.

It’s raining – again!  As soon as that thought becomes real, remember the smell of that first spring shower as it washes clean the trees, streets, and even the air you breathe.

So, then you’re thinking, “OK. A rehash of gratitude, then.” 

And to that, I would reply, “Exactly!”


I wonder what might happen should we choose to experience (and share) good morning wishes meant to bless someone. I wonder if we could change someone’s outlook with a simple and sincere wish that the person on the other side of our greeting has a truly blessed day. They will see it in our eyes. They will hear it in our tone. 

And once on the receiving end of this blessing, I wonder if our good morning message might propagate to others as well.


Of course, beginning this exercise also mandates that we avoid the list of replies that began this article. We would have to respond to the good morning wish of another in a way that reciprocates the ‘may you be blessed today’ prayer right back to them. 

Our experiment might not be world-changing, but it will affect the little piece of it that we belong to. I think that would be okay.


"This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24

No comments: