Sunday, June 26, 2022

Waves, Clouds, and Love

"Regard yourself as a cloud, in the flesh because you see, clouds never make mistakes. Did you ever see a cloud that was misshapen? Did you ever see a badly designed wave? No, they always do the right thing. But, if you will, treat yourself for a while as a cloud or a wave and realize that you can’t make a mistake whatever you do. Because even if you do something that appears totally disastrous, it will all come out in the wash somehow or another. Then through this capacity, you will develop a kind of confidence. And through confidence, you will be able to trust your own intuition."  Source: Taoism: Way Beyond Seeking, Alan Watts

Although I agree that clouds and waves do not make mistakes, I'm falling short when it comes to accepting the premise that people can be like clouds and waves.

  • I think all of us make mistakes - I’ve heard others say that we can learn from these blunders. 
  • I think I’ve made a lot of mistakes, this is from personal reflections.
  • I think sometimes, the miscalculations might not exhibit disastrous consequences but at least border something very close.

So then, you ask, “Why even quote this philosopher?”

I like to read. But I seem to do this in streaks: voraciously for months on end and then, nothing. So, I like getting daily posts from various people because I think some of them read more consistently and I can share in the words they discover.

I also resonated a bit with the analogies presented with waves and clouds. 

Waves are never the same as the next wave. They are constantly changing shape, velocity, direction, and depth. They sometimes crash on shorelines and sometimes become swirling vortexes. 

When in motion, they move around, over, and even through any obstruction in their path. And sometimes, it’s hard to know if they even exist when in their temporary calmness.  

I must use all the same adjectives and state every situational reference in the same way when discussing clouds.

If I took some survey, I think I would find little disagreement so far.  But what happens when we start looking at the premise presented in the first line of the quote., “Regard yourself as a cloud, in the flesh because you see, clouds never make mistakes.”

Is there some way we can connect a human life and all of our missteps with clouds and waves analogies then?


Maybe individually, we can recognize that we, like waves and clouds, have the ability to adapt. We can change direction if not form, to 'learn from these mistakes as we move forward through life. We can apologize. We can forgive. We can choose love. 


Maybe collectively, we can recognize that we are stronger together; that the sum of us is much more than the sum itself.  We can choose to act together in making our world better (or worse) but either way, we also have the power to apologize, forgive, and choose love.  


More than loving your neighbor as yourself, Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. John 13:34

No comments: