Sunday, July 17, 2022

Most of the Time, It Doesn’t Hurt

I made the commitment a while ago after asking myself ad nauseum, “Why aren’t you doing that?”

Including driving time, the whole process takes about an hour and a half every couple of months. And it’s a good thing to do, giving blood.  It helps somebody. Every single time it helps somebody.

A couple of months ago, I placed myself in the lounge chair and the procedure started. But it was obvious that the technician was new. There were a lot of questions directed at a person floating around my station in an effort not to interfere but to be there should the need arise.

We eventually finished and I made an appointment for the next time. I stayed true to that commitment thing. That appointment was this past Friday.

I remember thinking as I drove to the clinic that maybe I should ask for a more experienced attendant. I still have a little soreness in my left arm from that last session. It’s getting better, but I thought it best to avoid the chance of the right arm being affected too!

The intake was normal, but I decided to make no reference to my misgivings.  When asked, I did say that I would be using my right arm this time.

I remember the face. I remember how she was less boisterous and relaxed than the other technicians. I remember the concentration which was evidenced by the furrows on her forehead and in her frown. All was there yet today. 

She was trying hard and yes, I was introduced to my trainee from last time.

Two immediate thoughts: “OMG.  It’s too late to ask now!” and “What does it matter? Everybody must learn and I’m as good a pin cushion as the next guy.”

Today, there was no hovering overseer. But there were questions asked. More experienced professionals were kind and helpful with their advice and assistance.  We all had a good time and even the trainee cracked a smile. I swear that I even heard a giggle from her at some point.

I was eventually released for those Oreo Cookies that we’re all so fond of. I sat down with my prize, answered a couple of emails, and left for home.

Saturday morning, my arm looked a little bit like it had, all by itself, been in a car accident.  No pain – just the colors of mauled veins and a little laceration where the go-home bandage was wound just a wee bit tight.


So maybe this is all my fault.  Maybe it’s all a result of tired old veins after decades of reliable service. Maybe this ancient median cubital vein is just worn out, difficult to find, and completely uncooperative.

But maybe that makes me the perfect test subject! 

So, with that thought, I’ll wind things up.

  • We are given an opportunity to make a difference every day. 
  • There are multiple avenues that might reveal this opportunity.
  • It takes just an open-minded awareness, a simple yes, and a willingness to be vulnerable to help someone else.
  • We have all been trainees.
  • We can all offer the chance to learn.
  • We can all offer the ability to relax a little, making learning easier.
  • We can choose to be less critical and more understanding.
  • We can choose to stop whining, complaining, and lashing out in anger when things don't go our way.

Other than a potential inconvenience, most of us are rarely hurt by serving others. Perhaps we spend a little of our time, energy, or even resources but it's unlikely that our basic needs will be affected. We can choose to consider opportunity over cost. 

We can choose to say, “Hey, I got this.”


Just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” Matthew 20:28


 

No comments: