Sunday, January 30, 2022

Everybody Wins. Everybody Loses.

Based on the weather today, let’s make plans for a trip! Let’s imagine that we’re going to Hawaii!  It’s quite cold this morning and I think I’d like to be looking at Waikiki Beach rather than my frozen vehicle.

It’s been years since you’ve been out of town.  You’ve worked hard and life has been tough. It’s been almost impossible on some days especially with everything going on throughout the past couple of years. But the reward is in sight. 

This is a trip that you’ve carefully planned with 7 friends. You looked for great hotels in Honolulu.  You’ve found some restaurants that you can’t wait to try. (Sidebar: I remember walking into a Waikiki hotel restaurant. It was dark and I was following the maître d to our table. Lights were subdued, and I could see the chefs cooking right in front of diners. Along the way, there were pillars in front of a full wall with the most beautiful mural I think I’ve ever seen. The punchline here? It was not a mural. There was no wall. It was a quiet real-time ocean view – the actual Pacific Ocean. Impressive!)

Ok. Back to our story.

You’ve done your research. It’s time to start making the arrangements. Everybody wants to stay in the same hotel. You’re looking to stay together on the flight. After group discussions, it has been decided that renting a van would be best even though some wanted a couple of cars instead. 

One married couple asks the group to allow a couple of their friends to come with them. “Hey. The more the merrier” is the reaction of the others. 

There are a lot of things to do, and you’ll need to work hard to see who wants to do what activities and then make sure, once again, that everybody that is participating will be able to be together for the tours.

It’s THE meeting. This is the one where you will sit together at a computer and begin making all the reservations. 

Ten people gather. And rather than the excitement of making this trip reality, the room is eerily quiet. Apparently, the new additions to this party will not make acceptable traveling partners - at least for a few of the original planners. They categorically refuse to share a van, a hotel restaurant, or a tour bus with the new people. 

Discussions (heated and otherwise) ensue. In the end, there will be no need for computer-generated reservations. The entire trip has fallen apart, and friendships have dissolved.

Instead of leaving the cold snap behind in favor of a week in paradise, all 10 will now be wearing heavy coats, scraping car windows, and turning up the heat in their homes. 

It’s a good thing this is an imaginary trip because the whole thing is ridiculous, yes?

Well, maybe.

During the 1920s and 1930s, thousands of community pools were built in cities across America. Many of these government-built pools were elaborate and beautiful. Millions of people were able to soften the blow of heat and humidity as they played in the cool water. 

Remember, air conditioning wasn’t widely available until post-World War II. (Interesting fact: The first known Air-conditioning unit was installed in the Charles Gates mansion in Minneapolis. It was 7 feet high, 6 feet wide, and 20 feet long. The first room air conditioners were sold in the 1930s for between $10,000 and $50,000. Translation: $120,000-$600,000 in today’s currency value.

At the same time, segregation was growing. Through city regulations, many of these pools denied entrance to Black children (and of course, their parents). 

About 20 years later, a desegregation movement began to move through the nation. 

Courts decreed that municipal governments could not segregate community pools. As a result, a number of pools were sold by the municipalities and became private clubs. Over time, most of the remaining structures were closed or destroyed.

The relief from inner-city heat and humidity was now denied to those of color. And with the 'success' of this decision, it was denied to everybody without the means to spend $50,000 for an air conditioner. That's well, everybody.

The vacation in Hawaii was a ridiculous story. And yet, so is the history of the municipal pool.


Yeah. Touchy subject, this.

I was taught that we are all created in the image of God. I was taught that God is love. I was taught that I should love God with all my heart and love my neighbor as much as I love myself. I was taught that Jesus healed the sick and the sinner.  

He welcomed and taught Jews, talked with Samaritans including a woman at a well and a man who saved a beaten stranger on the road. He healed Gentiles, ate with tax collectors, allowed prostitutes to pour oil on his feet, and recruited people with polar-opposite views to walk with Him as apostles and teachers. 

I was taught that I should never judge.

I was taught that I should go and make disciples and that people will know that I follow Jesus by the love I offer to others.

In other words, I should swim in community pools that are open to everybody. This just might be that which defines His Kingdom on Earth.

Cincinnati Pool 2021

February is Black History Month. 

The month is a celebration of the contributions and achievements of Black people.  It can be considered a time of learning for all of us.

I have discovered that the learning curve is steep, and I fully acknowledge that I have a long way to go. But I’ll let you in on a few things that have been taking place.

I have several books (all of them started, only a few completed) about the history of race in this country. I find that I know very little about what it is like to be non-white - in this land, in this world.  I also have several books that help me understand bias as well. 

During this upcoming month, I plan to finish “The Sum of Us: What Racism Costs Everyone and How We Can Prosper Together by Heather McGee. This was my first exposure to the history of the community pool. I admit I had to stop a little more than 100 pages in. The book is heavy and difficult to read, but I will finish every word before the end of February.

I subscribe to “We Shouldn’t Even Know Each Other”, a podcast on Patreon for just five bucks a month. Subscriptions are not required, but I definitely want to support these two friends as I faithfully listen to their banter and real-life experiences twice a month. 

Sandra and Dee have known each other for 15 years now as they both live on the East Side of St. Paul, Minnesota. One is black and the other is white. Their podcast features serious and humorous discussions about friendships and true stories that have impacted what they know of each other.

Currently, they are challenging each other with movies, television, poetry, and even Rap videos. The task is to immerse yourself in ways that might be foreign to your experience to gain perspective about another. I have also taken these (well, most of them) challenges and am learning more about myself than others – I think. But it’s a good start.  If I don’t know me, I don’t know how I will ever come close to knowing someone else.

I have read, Tribe: Why Do All Our Friends Look Just Like Us. The author is Sandra Unger, of the podcast already mentioned. She writes stories relating to her family's decision to move to the city from the suburbs to live with people unlike themselves. A fascinating and fun read!


I am aware that strong feelings swirl around topics like this and I am only scratching the surface of these emotions even in myself. It's not a time for blame, but for thinking, learning, and considering what the life of another might be like and why.

I am suggesting that you might take part in an ‘outside of your experience’ experiment this month as it relates to our neighbors of color. Find something that will hold your interest. Open your mind and take a serious look. 

Like you, others have stories. Like you, others have had experiences. Like you, the views of everyone else also are held captive and determined under bias. 

Like you. That is the point here. 

One at a time, we can learn to know each other. None of us will make a huge impact on the state of the world today, but each of us can make a friend. Or, at the very least, we can decide to read about someone’s history and learn just a little bit more about us, our neighbors, and Jesus.


A gift!

Should any of you wish to share the ideas you have for Black History Month, I will happily send you a copy of Tribe at no cost to you. Feel free to leave a comment, or if you’d prefer, send an email with your intentions. Just make sure that you leave a way for me to obtain your mailing address.

An invite!

Go ahead. Jump in. The water is just fine!

A Promise!

The next article will be short and fun. Pray that this wordy guy can fulfill his well-intentioned promise!



No comments: