Sunday, December 5, 2021

Bliss

Bliss, Movie 2021 (Amazon)

Emily has been chasing her dad for quite a while. Her concern appears valid; he’s become detached from reality. In one lucid moment, he promises to be there for her graduation. Suddenly, he finds that he is fired (for cause, really) and the fog sets in for (Doctor) Greg Wittle. The Graduation promise is left hidden in folds of vapor with all intentions of mind and deed.

The Wikipedia link is in the first line in case you want to know more about the film. Just to be clear, this production was not favored by most critics. Audience reviews could also be called troublesome. 

But, sometimes, I use the screen for background more than engagement. I believe this to be the case here. I kept my eye on it but was not captivated by any stretch.

In the end, (Mister) Greg Wittle is on the mend. He laments to Emily that he’s too late. 

Emily replies, “You’re not late, dad. You’re here.” They hug – and we know that hasn’t happened in a good long while. 

I cannot say why, but those final words reached my consciousness, and I am very pleased that I stuck it out and finished the film. 

Assuming a stance of suspended reality, this storyline presents life (in the fog, anyway) as nothing more than a computer simulation. Crazy story. 

Life is crazy too. But six words and a hug bring us back to reality. In the RW (real world) we most often have a desire to connect, to love, and to live in peace with others. Well, I think about life this way and I really can’t imagine why anyone would choose to seek conflict, division, or hatred. 

I could be wrong.

But let’s pretend I’m right.

Let’s pretend that truly being there matters more than everything else. Let’s imagine that we’re paying attention when we hear, “Love God with all your heart and soul and love your neighbor as yourself.”

What might change in our lives?

A few weeks ago, I began another ‘challenge’ attached to #Groupsof10. This one is called “Everybody Deserves”. I know that I’m not the most motivational writer and I certainly fall short of being inspiring. So, let me just tell you two stories.

First Story; IKEA

The company I work for was recently bought by a Swedish company called Sandvik. Working from home, we were invited to stop by the office as people from Sweden would be visiting their new acquisition for the entire week.

Since we rarely see closely-connected colleagues face-to-face, I considered buying some Maribou Swedish Chocolate as a small gift to say, “Good to see you!” I was only a couple of miles away and thought this idea to be stupid. As I was talking myself out of driving to IKEA, I drove to IKEA. Funny how that can happen. 

Walking in the door of this huge retailer, I saw a lady sitting on a chair by herself folding yellow shopping bags. She looked up asking if she could help me find something. Stretching out the last word, my purposefully sotto voce reply whispered, “I need chocolate!” 

She laughed and said she’d take me. I protested that a guide wasn’t necessary, but she insisted saying it was good for her to move around and then something about a sore butt – I'm not sure about that, though.

There were shelves of chocolate. She described all of them and let me know her favorite. I thanked her and she headed back to her station. 

I bought one extra.

Presenting this lady with her favorite chocolate was a complete surprise to both of us. This little lady was as excited as any child would be on Christmas morning. She clasped it to her chest and even though masked, evidence of a beaming smile showed in her eyes. She asked if she could give me a hug. 

No live person could possibly have said, “No.”

I think this was the reason I was supposed to make this trip. I think the chocolate given to co-workers was just a silly bonus. And I wish I knew more about that lady. She’s in my prayers, though.

Second Story; EVERYBODY DESERVES

The second story is also very personal.

I’m going to ask you to do three things. 

  1. The story was already told so I’ll ask you to click the ‘Everybody Deserves’ link above and read it again.
  2. The FIRST Everybody Deserves award was made on Thanksgiving Day.  Click the link to read about it.
  3. You must know someone who deserves a standing ovation. Vow to make it happen! Click here to learn more.

More than anything, I want you to be able to know the power of the connection made with this award. I want you to feel what I feel. I want others to feel what my friend felt. There is an anagram that makes the rounds once in a while; FOMO. This stands for the fear of missing out. 

I pray for each of you that you do not miss out on this opportunity for bliss.

This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118: 24


No comments: