Sunday, December 19, 2021

Informed Delivery

Quite a while ago, I signed up for the USPS Informed Delivery service.  Although it’s imperfect, it does come in handy as I receive an email notification every day.

When I occasionally open these emails, I am ‘informed’ about the mail pieces and packages that will soon appear. The correspondence supplies a picture of first-class mail and I even know who has sent it.


It’s not very far to visit the mailbox center in this complex and certainly, the exercise would be good for me. But it just never feels like something I want to do. I feel the same about haircuts. 

I’ve noticed that I am more consistent with reading these US Post Office emails during the holidays. Maybe I’m still a bit on the old-fashioned side and look forward to a hard-copy Christmas card or two. 

I considered making a resolution this year to seek out this email and respond more regularly. Truthfully, this vow probably won’t change my habits in the long run, however.

 Don’t you just love getting the inside scoop of my exciting life!

And of course, there’s more about this idea of Informed Delivery than meets the eye.

About 700 BC, we were given a prophecy letting us know that the Son of Man was on His way. And then there was that Star in the East thing which was probably more in line with the idea of ‘informed delivery’.

I sometimes stretch things a little bit while I’m writing. Some of you already think I’m a little off – and that’s okay. I just think it’s interesting when normal everyday things cause me to think about Jesus.

Interesting is one word and then trepidation finds me. 

Like haircuts and USPS, I see the notices and yet, because I don’t want to, I’m too busy, or I’m too lazy, I ignore them. The trip to Great Clips follows frustration as my hair becomes unmanageable. The daily USPS reminders are opened when I get to the point where I fear that the tiny receptacle for ‘storing’ mail might be overflowing.

  • Is there any chance that I ignore informed delivery when it comes to Jesus too?
  • Is there any truth to the idea that I only turn to Jesus when I am overflowing with problems and unmanageable situations?
  • Is that when I am finally not too busy or lazy to set a priority that makes sense?
  • Is that when I finally begin to discover the urgency in seeking God?

 I think it's time;

  • For me to read Isaiah. 
  • For me to really listen to the Christmas Story as if I was there.
  • For me to follow the star that leads me to follow the person.
  • For me to follow the star and kneel in a manger.
  • For me to see more of Jesus in everyday things.
  • For me to make a resolution that befits the generosity of a loving God. 
  • For me to be present in His presence.

O Come, O Come Emmanuel.(Enya)


Since this is the last article of the year, let me wish you, your family, and your friends a safe and glorious Christmas! God Bless Every-One.

In honor of my daughter and her family:

In honor of my very Irish mother:

And for me, a Hallelujah Chorus tradition must be included. Some of you might be surprised that I still remember the bass part! I hope you remember your part as well.

In honor of the Transfiguration Choir, Oakdale, Minnesota



No comments: