Sunday, May 16, 2021

Where ARE They?

I have been warned that "Brood X" is coming.  The news pundits have done their jobs.

I poked around Google and even downloaded "Cicada Safari" (available for Android and iPhone) thinking this event will be interesting but probably annoying for the most part.

Brood X is a particular group (if you call billions a group) of insects known as Cicadas.  There are a few different broods, but this happens to be the one causing all the fuss.


Apparently, these now grown 1 and 1/2 half-inch ‘bugs’ have been living under the soil for 17 years.  They are now emerging en masse as mature teenagers ready to (it’s the hormones, don’t you know) do what teenagers everywhere do.: Make a mess and a lot of noise. (What were you thinking?  Well, yeah, they do that too.)

I prepared to welcome them (a decidedly inaccurate term) to the surface this week.  But it now appears that they are coming late to the party.  If the ground temperatures are not 64 degrees, 59 currently, they stay buried.  No sense in freezing to death.

But I am now disappointed.

I know. I question my sanity as I look forward to this manifestation of nature, but I admit to a strange sense of curiosity.  I even considered buying a hat to protect me from this assault, but I put it off.  I do not wear hats – ever!  But I thought with these huge buggy creatures falling out of trees all over the place, maybe I should reconsider.  

Putting a hold on the hat (for now), I have prepared by purchasing extra paper towels.  I filled up the windshield wiper reservoir in my car and cleaned up the windshield cover.  Yes, my car has a mask of its own and I now have a new reason to wear mine.  The CDC has not announced any guidelines for this interruption, but what the heck.  

So then, trying to tie this together with some spiritual take-away, I thought about, “All the earth will worship You and sing praises to You. They will sing praises to Your name”, (Psalm 66:4).

Perhaps "Make a joyful noise to the LORD, all the earth; break forth into joyous song and sing praises!" (Psalm 98:4)

Pass.

The noise produced by these creatures has been described as ‘singing’ (racket does not lend itself to this bible verse) but probably not specifically for the glory of God.  Science tells us it is more for mating purposes.  I also do not consider this cacophony ‘joyful noise’.

I have read that the noise level can be up to 100dB.  I have also read that this level is comparable to things like chain saws and jets flying overhead.  (Add earplugs to the prep list – check.)

Based on what I believe I will personally feel about this onslaught, I am thinking more along the lines of “Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Please think about me shuttered with the windows closed for most of the summer.  Please consider what it might be like to walk out to a bug-covered car (wearing a hat - or maybe carrying an umbrella) while sweeping my path clear of thousands of carcasses.  

Please pray for me but do it loudly as the competition will be extraordinarily tough.  

I thank you in advance.

* And just one more thought.  It appears that the whole purpose of the Cicada event is to propagate.  It has been stated that these characters emerge in such numbers to survive as a species.  These bugs are in the food chain, of course.  And the animals in nature consider these insects a valuable source of food and protein.  (Some people too, from the looks of things.)  The massive conglomeration creates a situation whereby they can't all be eaten!  

Cicada Safari Map 5-16-21


 I say again, Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all     circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” As far as   'purpose' goes, this seems to be a good one for my life. 




No comments: