Sunday, March 7, 2021

Post-it Ponderings

This week is over.  Thank you, God!

When the work-week is particularly long or frustrating, I will sometimes lose the ambition to write. I am tempted to say, "Forget it this week."  Sometime later, however, a semblance of resolve can be found.  Even then, my heart might not be in it as much as I'd like.

So here we are then!

In moments like this, I typically move towards the articles that are found in the draft folder.  Today, I found only a phrase, a location, and a brief comment indicating that I should look further. Explorations began followed by a thought process that inquired but found no resolution.

Soundtracks underneath the movies and television shows we watch are common.  I'll admit that I frequently fail to notice the artistry. I do wake-up once in a while, however. Maybe the tonality, or the arrangement, or even the words trigger this consciousness.

In this instance, the somberness of the music matched my mood and I heard only these words.

"On the dark side of good, there's evil."

I spent a good deal of time and successfully matched those words with an artist. From Candace Coles' album called, "Make it Home" I found a single of the same name.  But in all my searching, I could not find the lyrics.

I did something that I always regret doing.  I signed up for a "free-trial upgrade" and found the song on Pandora. Maybe I will remember to cancel this upgrade before it renews.  

As of today, the lyrics remain elusive.  But, listening very closely revealed a few lines. This is enough to bring my heart, soul, and whatever mind still exists into the process of consideration and reflection. In no particular order, I list them below.

On the other side of fear, there's freedom.
On the dark side of good, there's evil.
On the other side of hate, there's love.
Just pray you'll make it home.

You might remember that I mentioned that I found no resolution. I must also make it clear that I have no resolution for you.  We will share this frustration together, it seems.  Or perhaps we'll share the joyful experience of what these words reveal.

Today, I have created one post-it note for each line. This week, I will spend some time with each of these phrases while I work through Lent.  It seems to me that there is a great deal of interpretation available in these words.  I'm going to start with the "dark side of good" to see what I can make of it since those words started this.  I can't wait to see where this song takes me.  

Search me, God, and know my heart;
    test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me,
    and lead me in the way everlasting.  Psalm 139: 23-24


No comments: