Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Christmas Week, Tuesday Day 3 - Finding the Sun

Yesterday's post was rather frivolous, maybe even ridiculous, but hopefully made you think a little about your next complaint.  Although today's article is making much the same point, you'll be happy to see it is also significantly more direct.

A recent podcast featured a quote from Gerald Sittser.

"The quickest way for anyone to reach the sun and the light of day is not to run west, chasing after the setting sun, but to head east, plunging into the darkness until one comes to the sunrise."

Holding firm to briefness, I ask that sometime today, read this quote again,  close your eyes and ponder what it means to you, your life, and the direction you want to go. It's a good exercise for our January resolutions.

Speaking of which, it's time for my 'Word of the Year' assignment.  Last year, "Someone Is Missing' proved prophetic and unnerving.  It was effective, however. It's a year and a phrase I will not soon forget.

This year, I am leaning towards "EAST".  No phrase, just 4 letters.  But I'm betting it's packed with a year's worth of self-examination.  

I never spend time thinking about the yearly word.  I let it sit until sometime in the last months of the year, something clicks.  The above quote did just that. Wish me luck. 

"Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him." James 1:12


 


No comments: