Saturday, December 26, 2020

Christmas Week, Saturday Day 7 - Lost Opportunities

 This past Monday, I received the following email reminder. 








When I read this email, brain synapses sparked searching for long-forgotten audio. Amazingly, the process successfully retrieved memories of some announcer in some recording saying, "That is all" in the most monotonal voice imaginable.  The phrase is typically understood to be dismissive and rude, as I understand it. It's the way I thought about this email. "Information for you. That is all."

On Monday, Christmas was yet to come.  Today, Christmas (The Day of) is over. 

The current observation involves both the coming and going of opportunities.  I mentioned in one of this week's articles that the "good ole' days" seemed to be more generous with the holiday spirit.  That spirit (at least in the mind of my inner child) is otherwise known as consideration, kindness, and generosity.

Yes, the above is simply a notice (as it says quite clearly) that a seasonal out-of-office is upon us.  I would say that I probably knew that already, but in the spirit of clarity, a worthwhile reminder.

What I lament is the lost opportunity, not for me, but for this group of people.  It would not have been challenging to finish the notice with 'Merry Christmas!"  It is a total of 16 keystrokes.  That does not take long. I'll even test it.

BEGIN. (Test over - 3.64 seconds)

This notice was sent to 100 people.  Timewise, it is statistically insignificant to wish each of them a nice holiday while at the same time, conveying a bit of already-known information.  

We could even go out-of-this-world-crazy and add something like, "We wish you and yours a healthy, safe and peaceful holiday season', The Staff at ____. "  This would take what, 11 seconds?

The appeal isn't that it's good for business or just a nice thing to do.  The point in evidence reveals that the writer of this notice has missed an opportunity for connection, understanding, kindness, thoughtfulness and so many more virtues.  

Perhaps we are in danger of losing the ability to be 'nice'  Maybe it's not the ability but more a dismissal that is at the center here. I admit to hearing that nice really doesn't matter anymore and even shouldn't be part of who we are.  Ahhh, this world we live in.

I for one would like to reinstate this concept.  As bored as I might be regarding the word mindfulness, I think it aptly applies to my intentions moving forward in 2021 and beyond.  I want to be aware of opportunities (large or small) to shine a light for my fellow man. 

“Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.”  Colossians 3:12-13

Rant Over.

May we soon witness vast improvements in the lives of millions - including our own. Happy New Year!  

THAT IS ALL.



Dismissive and Rude. I simply could not finish with that even though I meant it to be funny!  LOL. Again, Happy New Year!




No comments: