Sunday, October 29, 2023

Flashbacks and Current Events

It’s been a while since you’ve seen a warning: Flashbacks and music references are from the mid-1960s. Also, there is a distinct possibility that this could become a road of switchbacks and twisting paths full of ramblings and recollections. Follow if you dare. 

Onward.

The trigger was probably a background track heard during some television show or movie. Although an exact moment cannot be determined, suffice it to say that it was noticed this past week.

Upon the realization that I had heard The Impossible Dream (by Gomer Pyle - Really? Gollie, Shazam!), I followed up with a YouTube search to be certain. Listening to this clip inserted another musical memory of long ago as it began competing for my thoughts: You’ll Never Walk Alone.

These two oldies swiftly sent me back to the days of Catholic Grade School. The songs were standouts from my nun-infused education. It was probably just one or two of those dedicated educators (penguins, they were called by the masses), but it seems there must have been a great deal of emphasis placed on these musical scores.

I also remembered our school uniforms. 

I remember the string ties (bolo ties) worn by the boys. I remember the frustration of all the nuns and lay teachers as they screeched for us to sit still. I don’t remember them cursing exactly, but I’m sure it was present if only under the authoritarian’s breath. 

You see, these ties had metal ends. It took only slight movements to create contact with a wooden desk. The noise from one small child would have been noticeable but from a room full of them, it must have been the very definition of classroom distraction. And I imagine every little boy-devil in the room, grinning - if only in the mind of the oppressed. 

I seem to recollect that we only wore those ties for one year. I could be wrong. 

I doubt it.

Maybe you'd like to hear about the corduroy pants. Looking back, we were a noisy bunch of boys!

Right. Back to basics.

What I’m describing is what is called music-evoked autobiographical memory. Well, that’s a mouthful. Without a more detailed study of the phenomenon (you can do that if you wish), I can’t say for sure. It sounds good so I put it in here to impress you. It worked. I can tell.

But the psycho-babble explanation is interesting for various reasons.

  • I haven’t thought of my childhood grade school in decades.
  • I haven’t thought of those string ties even once as far as I know.
  • I knew the lyrics for both as if just performed on stage somewhere.
  • Most importantly, connections to today's world sparked immediately.

Apparently, at the prodding of these nuns a half-century ago, the pebbles of musical memories have been refined and smoothly washed into polished gemstones of significant value. As one percussionist member of a little boys' band called ‘Desktones”, I am grateful to have received an extraordinary education from the generously taught musical compositions. 

The extraordinary was not the education of knowledge but of compassion and love. It included notes of hope and comfort. Minor chords were struck with the reality of struggle, weariness, and injustice. But perseverance while striving for righteousness, peace, and love overcomes. The score crescendos as unreachable becomes attainable, and the world becomes a better place if just one of us reaches for better, for the Impossible. 



We need "Reachers" more than ever. It might be your call. It might be mine. And be aware that it will include alienation and pain for the called. Helping this world to be a better place is a difficult road to travel and this challenge seems to fit right into the impossible dream category.

But if you can, start anyway. Reach for those stars. Climb every mountain. (oops – there’s another one!)

I have a feeling that your quest will inspire others and you will not walk alone. I have a dream that the small metal-to-wood tapping made by your efforts could become a symphony orchestra of change – the kind of change that only love can create. 


I am guessing that my most frequently used scripture would have to be Michah 6:8. Used just a couple of weeks ago, it is still in my heart and repeated here once again.

He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
    And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
    and to walk humbly with your God.

Micah 6:8


Extra Credit Links
Gomer Pyle played by Jim Nabors Wikipedia

No comments: