Sunday, October 22, 2023

Cheering for the Underdog

Sometimes I don’t know what to watch on the streaming services. When that happens, I just accept the offered recommendations. I mean, most of the time, it’s just background noise anyway. The suggested movie the other day was called, The Longshots

It’s about a small-town girl (Jasmine Plummer) who spends her days reading. She loves books as she’s lonely and shunned by popular cliques. Due to a couple of events, she finds her stride in an unlikely place as she becomes the local high school star quarterback. She embraces her talent and moves toward the unexpected. She becomes the first female quarterback to ever play in the Pop Warner Super Bowl. 

She did not do this all on her own.

Her “Uncle Curtis (Ice Cube)”, having been forced to babysit, discovers her talent. Curtis continually encourages and coaches Jasmine (Keke Palmer). He stands by her - always. 

I haven’t really followed sports for quite some time and this movie would not have been a choice I would make. But I like it when I’m pleasantly surprised. There’s really nothing better than a heartwarming story of an underdog’s success. 

I know we used to cheer for the underdog. Do we still do that?

In no specific order, my fingers identified the following 'underdogs'.

  1. The Underprivileged
  2. The Minority
  3. The Bullied
  4. The Loner
  5. The Handicapped
  6. The Addict
  7. The Weak
  8. The Young
  9. The Misfit
  10. The Old
  11. The Homeless
  12. The Survivor
  13. The Different
  14. The Children
  15. The Women
  16. The Helpless
  17. The Poor
  18. The Oppressed
  19. The Shy
  20. The Defeated
  21. The Introvert
  22. The Loser
  23. The Neglected
  24. The Feeble
  25. The Lonely
  26. The Hurting
  27. The Talentless
  28. The Geek
  29. The Hopeless
  30. The Lost
  31. The Broke
  32. The Sick
  33. The Unemployed
  34. The Underemployed
  35. The Loveless
  36. The Friendless
  37. The Powerless
  38. The Controlled
  39. The Nonconformers
  40. The Unique
  41. The Fatherless
  42. The Motherless
  43. The Shut-in
  44. The Orphan
  45. The Unaccomplished
  46. The Disavowed
  47. The Imprisoned
  48. The Despairing
  49. The Broken
  50. The Rejected
  51. The Terrified
  52. The Disposable
  53. The Weird
  54. The Unwanted
  55. The Discarded
  56. The Fearful
  57. The Victim
  58. And, of course, The Longshots

I was surprised at how quickly this list came together. There was little concentration needed. And I'm betting I missed as many as were identified.

I was also shocked to notice how many I was able to see in myself - not all at once, but throughout my life. I should have realized that we are all underdogs at some point, and we all need others for encouragement, hope, help, and comfort. 

While I was compiling this list, another thought came to mind. Some on the list are underdogs because of what someone else does to them. This creates a new category of 'hidden underdogs' (the "someone else") if you will. 

These are a few examples of those who don't appear to fit the title but are just better at projecting a sense of bravado to avoid the appearance of being underdogs. If you think about it deeply, you'll see what I mean. Examples:

  • The Privileged
  • The Heartless
  • The Bully
  • The Powerful
  • The Controller
  • The Extrovert
  • The User
  • The Ruler


Like Jasmine, we do not overcome our 'underdogness' on our own. We need others. Others need us. And this is true whether we are underdogs of the first category or the second.

I heard a quote from an unknown source this week.  "God's house is not holy because all are welcome, God's house is holy because all belong." This is to say that God's house is filled with underdogs. 

I believe that to be very good news.


Just two things before I wrap up.

  1. God's House can be any church, synagogue, chapel, beach, tent city, garden, mountain top, igloo, condo, yurt, or mansion. This I think, was God's intentional choice.
  2.  All are welcome and belong in these spaces but in my opinion, this rests entirely on the decision we make. We will either agree with God and open our hearts and spaces, or we will agree with the world and close them to the underdog. 


The whole time I was writing, I kept hearing All Are Welcome, by Marty Haugen

"Let us build a house where hands will reach
    beyond the wood and stone.
To heal and strengthen, serve and teach,
    and live the word they’ve known.
Here the outcast and the stranger
    bear the image of God’s face;
Let us bring an end to fear and danger.
All are welcome.
All are welcome.
All are welcome in this place."

No comments: