Sunday, September 24, 2023

Delighting or Disturbing - Short Version

Yes, this is the 'short version.'

I usually start writing these weekly articles on Saturdays. This gives me time to let them simmer so that I can fine-tune them before hitting publish. Today, I decided to listen to my second thoughts 

I don't like being preachy. I also don't like it when I complain. The full version is based on frustrations and complaints. But since it was already completed, I put it in cyberspace just for therapy. You can read it on the blog site if you wish. It's called "Delighting or Disturbing - Full Version." Yes, I agree. Very creative!

Every day, I think we are called to serve - in our work and in our relationships. I think we are called to a life of loving and helping our neighbors. I can’t remember hearing or reading any Jesus-miracle that was done for His benefit. I can’t recall any parable that suggests that our service to others is better if it serves us first. 

I also know that we live in a world that costs. We need to provide for families. We need to grow our business or at least work hard for our employers. But I do remember something about not working for human masters but for God. 

“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." Colossians 3:23-24

I think it is possible to serve others by delighting them. I think that just a little effort (especially in our world today) would be welcomed by our customers and those we serve. Maybe, just maybe, all we need to do is to determine if we are serving with an eye to delight those who benefit from this service or only for the goal of a self-serving agenda.

Fall has begun. As the weather finally cools (Please, God), I hope that you are able to participate in some spectacular fall leaf-viewing in your part of the country. Spend some time enjoying creation with family and friends. It will be well, delightful.  

The Annual US Fall Foliage Prediction Map (2023) by SmokeyMountains.com

No comments: