Sunday, September 24, 2023

Delighting or Disrupting - Full Version

One of the things I have always considered as vitally important is something called “Customer Service.” At least, that is what it is called when it comes to corporate entities.

I am finding that despite the flowering, feel-good words espoused on corporate websites, the statements of mission, vision, values, and ethics are less promising and more promoting.  This is not in those flowery words, of course, but in the agenda behind those words. The well-written phrases and sweet-sounding language are there to convince us that our loyalty to the brand and our continued participation in the revenue stream will benefit not just us, but our community and the world we live in. "We are family," they'll say. 

We want to believe this. 

No company would proclaim that its existence is only to maximize profits for investors and upper management in every way possible - manipulation, lies, and false advertising included. No company would declare that the customer matters only while revenue participation continues. 

So, other than some I-have- had-enough frustration, you wonder why I bring this up.

This week, it seemed that I was tuned in to especially brutal examples - that would be the main reason.  Probably more to the point, sometimes it’s good to vent.

Example A.

Although it would be improper to reveal the inner workings of the workplace, I saw first-hand how a customer request was delayed and discouraged to the benefit of a close partner. The request was logical and explained in a polite and respectful manner. The close partner had dropped the ball. The customer had asked for this make-sense accommodation based on language and lack of service by our valued business partner. Certain profit levels determined the outcome, and the true customer lost the battle. It was ‘policy’ you know. Perhaps next June if things don’t change. 

Example B.

Sometimes, if things get a little boring, I play Free Cell Solitaire. It used to be that one could download the game to the hard drive and play at will. But of course, the corporate ideal is to monetize everything. So, ads are inserted quite often. I guess I understand that. Not even Solitaire was produced and programmed without cost. However, not only are the ads disruptive, but they are deceitful. 

The disruption is typically an advertiser-produced video. The video includes sound – sometimes very loud and annoying sound. I noticed early on that perhaps for kindness’ sake, the customer service people added a mute button. Thank you for that!

But, although in the past, this button was generous accommodation, it is no longer to be described as such. Someone in the company had looked with horror at a lost opportunity. Someone decided that although the icon was labeled with a no-sound graphic, the click of this button would do no such thing. The mute button now acts as a hyperlink to take the ‘clicker’ (customer) to an advertiser’s website while continuing to screech whatever noise the video is playing. 

I can only explain this with the thought that the click-through (which produces income) is more important than my sanity. That’s simply “Corporate Service” overriding “Customer Service”. And it’s not done with a smile, but with a lie. 

Example C.

When writing these musings, I spend a lot of time doing research. More and more, the sites that Google says might answer some of my questions, are so full of pop-up video advertising (again with sound) that I cannot bear to continue my search.  The solution to stopping the ads by clicking on the ‘x’, used to work but now, the ‘x’ is hidden so well, it takes too long to find it.  All the while, my speakers are blaring annoying sounds to divert my attention to what they want to tell me.  

If you look, you'll find that these examples only scratch the surface of things. I remember when I could buy a cell phone outright. But someone figured out that they could charge more money for the device if they could prohibit a purchase in favor of an 'extended' zero-interest monthly payment. I remember when people paid for cable television, there were no ads. I know some premium streaming channels were that way, but now, just like cable, even though customers pay monthly, ads 'enhance' our experience anyway.

I certainly understand production costs and the fact that corporations need to be profitable. Companies provide jobs and they attract investments for critical and exciting improvements. 

I know that writing a blog can take up a good portion of the day. I have done enough of them to know. Some blogs are written to convey information with little ability to be paid for their time. And those who need to make a living as a blog writer need a way to generate income. 

I am not against the ads per se. I am against the idea that an 'informational' blog might not have been written to provide a service, but only to obtain as many click-throughs as possible. The design is less informational in favor of more revenue. And with artificial intelligence beginning to write in place of humans, I wonder what we'll start seeing.

Well, this is getting long and probably disruptive to you, my customer. 

My complaints might be no different from yours and I’m being disruptive rather than delighting you. 

Let me quickly boil this down and let you enjoy your Sunday.

The value of the many words printed above can be found in everyday life. No matter where your life takes you, we can find this value when we ask a simple question of ourselves. 

“In this moment, am I doing something that delights others or is this something that will disturb them?”

Every day, I think we are called to serve - in our work and in our relationships. I think we are called to a life of loving and helping our neighbors. I can’t remember hearing or reading any Jesus-miracle that was done for His benefit. I can’t recall any parable that suggests that our service to others is better if it serves us first. 

I also know that we live in a world that costs. We need to provide for families. We need to grow our business or at least work hard for our employers. But I do remember something about not working for human masters but for God. 

“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." Colossians 3:23-24

I think it is possible to serve others by delighting them. I think that just a little effort (especially in our world today) would be welcomed by our customers and those we serve. Maybe, just maybe, all we need to do is to determine if we are serving with an eye to delight those who benefit from this service or only for the goal of a self-serving agenda – customer be damned.

Please let me make up for today's disruption. 

Fall has begun. As the weather finally cools (Please, God), I hope that you are able to participate in some spectacular fall leaf-viewing in your part of the country. Spend some time enjoying creation with family and friends. It will be well, delightful.  

The Annual US Fall Foliage Prediction Map (2023) by SmokeyMountains.com 

 

No comments: