Sunday, March 26, 2023

Morning Darkness

I think it's been a while since I experienced a striking jolt of awareness.

That's OK, really.  Nobody walks around all day long every day of the week experiencing the proverbial Eureka moment.  

This week, I had one though.

I get up early, usually around 4:30 AM. On this particular day, it was more than an hour earlier than that. Yeah, I was tossing and turning and the thoughts going through my mind were already about work.  Especially BEFORE coffee, who needs THAT first thing in the morning!

For years, I have spent the first hours of the day with coffee and a sermon. I have a list of people that I like to listen to every week and an index of fill-ins when I need them. 

It's quiet. It's a good way for me to start each day, although I wish it helped me more than it does!  Anyway, on that particular morning, I finished the first latte', shut the computer off, stood up, and noted where the empty cup was placed. It's dark, of course, but I turned out the lamp.

I picked up the cup, walked to the kitchen, and well, all the rest of it is just the daily routine.  You need not be put through the monotony.


I'm not sure what you might have noticed with that story. But here's the moment of revelation. 

Perhaps it was because the sermon had noted how important it is that we fix our eyes on Jesus. When I turned the light off, it was truly as black as the middle of the night. Well, of course!  It WAS the middle of the night. Nevertheless, I walked a few feet and even in my blindness, reached down exactly where I had noted the empty cup would be, and snatched it up.

Well, that is probably no feat to write home about but that's where our friend, Ms. Epiphany comes in. Even in total blackness and unable to see my fingertips, I zeroed in on an empty cup with pinpoint accuracy.

Walking into the kitchen, even my somewhat caffeine-deprived brain had made a connection.

A truly thoughtless action had revealed something.  AHA!

"Keep your eyes on Jesus, who both began and finished this race we're in. Study how he did it. Because he never lost sight of where he was headed - that exhilarating finish in and with God - he could put up with anything along the way: cross, shame, whatever. And now he's there, in the place of honor, right alongside God." Hebrews 12:2 (MSG)

As long as keep my eyes where they belong, I will always be able to 'find the cup'. Even in darkness, Jesus will help me find the way as long as I first, look at Him. 



No comments: