Thursday, May 26, 2022

Blood, Sweat, and Tears

This week I am very grateful for the gift of a new friendship.

Yes, we have been neighbors for nearly a year and have willingly spent a few minutes in over-the-fence-hey-how-are-you-conversations during the past 12 months. But this time, a spur-of-the-moment decision led us to spend a couple of hours talking.   

NOTE: This was not a result of any Mediterranean Egg Salad distribution.  But since I’ve opened this topic, I think I will change that plan by replacing the egg salad for Smores.  As I was thinking about it, I wondered how many people would be appreciative of some homemade item dropped off at their door from someone they really don’t know. And since it’s summer, leaving a dish made with mayonnaise outside in the heat also seemed like potential trouble. In my head, I was hearing, "Danger, Will Robinson." Smores will probably be a safer and more acceptable plan. 

Anyway, back to my new friend and the real reason for writing.

I won’t go into too much detail, but the conversation was very interesting.  It seems that I live near to a person who has truly traveled the world, living in cultures and situations wildly different from my own. This new friend is blessed with a working knowledge of many languages as one life intermingled with others individually and in the midst of common living arrangements. While this was happening, the blood, sweat, and tears of every single person were brought together in mutual understanding and hopeful solidarity.

Of course, listening to these experiences could captivate a person for hours on end.  But it took little time for a takeaway to be planted in my heart, mind, and soul.

Blood, Sweat, and Tears.

I am not talking about a rock band. I am not referring to Winston Churchill. But I am leaning toward the “extremely hard work, or the greatest effort possible, in order to achieve something” definition provided by The Cambridge Dictionary.

But it goes so very much deeper.

My new friend tells me that these words have become a kind of stop-and-think policy. This phrase has become a reminder that every culture, every tribe, every family, and every person will have their own version of blood, sweat, and tears.

This yardstick is applied whenever meeting new people or even old friends.  In a way, it acts as a stop sign that cautions, “Hey! Before you start blabbing on and on, think about where this person in front of you might be coming from. They have their own personal history, their own tribe, and their own culture.”

"Be quick to hear and slow to speak" (James1:19), as you consider the struggles that have affected their lives, the lives of their ancestors, and the lives of their children and beyond.  Contemplate those things which have been overcome successfully, but don’t forget to explore where past endeavors have failed despite valiant efforts to triumph over adversity. These are the things that make up the essence of who we are. 

Be aware of what you might do or say that could offend while doing everything in your power to uplift and compliment their presence in your own life and the lives of others.

Well, as I write, I realize it’s more than 3 words, indeed.  It is also more than a mantra, a stop sign, and even more than a simple resolution to "think before speaking."

It is a guidepost to a life worth living - for us and for those we meet.  

Fully considering someone's experiences, dreams, wishes, goals, tragedies, and celebrations serve to invite people into safe, open, productive discussions with the knowledge that a listening ear is present. 

Yes. Blood, Sweat, and Tears. 

Successfully keeping these three words in mind will be heard loudly by every person you engage with. Without any verbalization at all, they will hear, "I see you. You matter.” 

And if someone matters, how can they be an enemy?


I went back to a 2017 discussion and re-read, "I See You". It was worth the few minutes of review. Maybe you'll think so too.



No comments: