Sunday, July 25, 2021

Out of the Mouths of Babes

I think that on more than one occasion, I have muttered the phrase, “From out of the mouths of babes.”

This phrase is typically meant to indicate that someone (usually a child) has said something profound by articulating some tidbit of wisdom that is considered well beyond their years of education and experience.  

I was not privy to the origin of this expression, so I was a bit surprised to read that it is a quote from the Bible. I rarely (about as often as I choose to eat a Carolina Reaper – look it up) pick up the King James Version.  This completely explains why I was uninformed as to this translation of Psalm 8:2.

But sure enough, that’s exactly what it says – exactly!  

Of course, I have not included the entire chapter, but for my purposes today, a full translation or interpretation is not required.  I am only interested in those particular words.  You’ll see why in a moment.

I have been thinking about humility lately. Truthfully, I am not even aware of the specific reason for this topic to be taking up valuable real estate in the cramped space between my ears.  Maybe I should kick it down to the heart for a while. But no matter where these images or thoughts reside, they are not going away – I have tried.

This brings me to another Bible verse. I have probably mentioned Micah 6:8 since the quotation has always touched me (convicted me) when reading or hearing it read.

"He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you?  To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."

Yup.  This is the one. In just a few words it shows me the path that I should be taking.  And there it is - that noisy, rumbling humbling thing.

So then, I looked up verses about humility. It turns out, they are all over the place – like, I am not kidding, everywhere!

Starting to read them to determine if I should include a few, I gave up.  I can’t (won’t) detail a list here (you can thank me later). But if you’re interested, you can always use the Google option. Enter “Bible, Humility” in the search box and see for yourself.

Humility, it seems, is important to living a good life. But with multitudes of Biblical reminders, I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed.

And then quite suddenly, “out of the mouths of babes” (or basketball players) I read the following quote from Giannis Antetokounmpo (this was a copy/paste action – I mean, well you understand). 


Aaron Gash - Associated Press
This guy is with the Milwaukee Bucks (which means close to nothing to me since I’m such an avid sports fan – not) but it does say something about Mr. A.  Like how I did that?  Mr. “A”?

This 27-year-old, b-baller mouthed the profound statement quoted below. It seems to me that with a few concise and effective words, Mr. Antetokounmpo has gifted to us an amazing explanation for how to determine whether we are walking humbly.

“A focus on the past is ego, a focus on the future is pride, and a focus on the present is humility.”

In my daily interactions with people (from children to the famous), I promise to listen intently without judgment, to look each person directly in the eye with compassion and understanding, and most of all, to be present in the moment with each person.  

I think maybe, between Giannis and Micah, my path just might be a little easier to find and to navigate.

Please Note:  The indicated correlation between this MVP basketball player and the commonly held interpretation of the title line is hereby amended.

I now proclaim that "Out of the Mouths of Babes" refers to a profoundly wise statement from any unexpected source." I completely eliminate the child-only inference as well as any reference to education or experience." 

I suppose the title and everything after it should be revised.  But I'm done writing today, so the article stands as-is, flawed and imperfect - just like me.

From today's celebrities and heroes, guidance and lessons for life are rare. It is excitingly heartwarming to hear something this profound from one of our contemporary superstars.

Thank you for your inspiring words, Mr. Giannis Sina Ugo Antetokounmpo! (copy/paste no longer required).


No comments: