Sunday, July 11, 2021

1650 in Bitcoin

I received an email this week.  The words were generally polite yet firm, threatening and demanding.  

My computer had been infected and was being monitored.  The writer explained his expertise in matters of this type and ransom paid would prevent exposure of well, something. 

I felt some fear at first, especially since the correspondence was sent from my email address – or so it appears.  Calmness set in as I thought, “Do what you need to do, hacker.  I have nothing on my PC that would cause embarrassment if revealed to the world.  I am not paying you.”  

A short time later, I landed on a bit of rational thinking.  I considered it likely that if someone were intending harm, the first step would be to lock my computer.  Only after I saw trouble would I be willing to pay.  A gift of a two-day notice based on the fear of what 'might' happen seemed counterproductive. Pay-or-else should be based on fact, not theory.


Nevertheless, I did check this out and found the word "scam".

In the days that followed, I also began to consider what I might lose should something like this happen someday. Perhaps it is time to evaluate and protect any data that would cause grief should I fall prey to ransomware predators.  

This work is now in process.  I am preparing.



On the way to the grocery store yesterday, I was minding my business, staying in my lane, and enjoying the drive with the sunroof open.  This spectacular day featured low dewpoints and 70-degree sunshine. This was my definition of a perfect day.

A siren disrupted all of that.  Right – the siren screaming from the vehicle directly behind me!

A feeling of panic rushed through my senses.  I signaled, pulled over to the side of the road, and stopped.  This happened in a matter of seconds as the black-and-white pulled around me and sped off into the distance.  

Calm again, I checked traffic, signaled my intentions, and resumed my drive.

But I began to think, "Close call." I have no idea if I was exceeding the speed limit, but I must admit that the possibility exists. Whatever transpired, the driver of the squad car clearly had more important things to do.  He just needed me to get out of the way. This time.

I thought it prudent to reinstate good driving habits. Sometime soon, my panic might be well-founded.



So, these two stories have something in common. They proved valuable as warnings.  They prophesied a future event that would cause pain if I neglected to modify and adjust my actions.  

I began to consider other areas of my life which might also need 'modifications'.

I found a few.  Surprise.

“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” Matthew 22:36-40

I found this image used in a couple of different places on the web with no credit given so I think I'm free to use it as well.  It seems to point us in the right direction.  When we are walking our life's path, most of us are using two feet.  Their importance cannot be overstated.  

In light of the need for behavior modifications, I am very tempted to get a sharpie and create a pair of my own.






No comments: