Sunday, June 6, 2021

Looking Back - Looking Forward

There has been quite a lot of work to do lately.  I have been diligently creating a backup of each posted article.  There are hundreds and when adding those to partial, non-posted 'ideas', well you do not really want to know the final number.

I have also discovered that embedded videos do not transfer well. (Read, at all.)

And neither do hyperlinks.  This one was a surprise.  Apparently, copied links from this platform include a full HTML address rather than the specific link to a video or an article.

During this process, I have had the opportunity to experience small 'snips' of reflection when reading just a few of these older musings. I am looking forward to having the time to read all of them.

First, let me thank you for hanging in there!  

Some of those early articles were really, well quite horrible! So, the first reflection indicates that writing skills are improving!  (Good thing!  Yes, there is a long way to go, but I think I am driving in the right direction, at least.)

Secondly, I found that some of those articles made excellent points if I do say so myself.  I had wondered if perspectives might have drastically changed since 2015.  I found that I would not so much disagree with past conclusions but felt stranded while looking for more depth. 

Perhaps the writing itself was a bit superficial, or maybe my thought process is now more developed, or it could be that historical-me had entirely missed my own point.  I might (someday) resurrect some of these ancient contemplations. It would be an interesting experiment to see where they might go with the contemporary-me writer.

Critically, I determined that some repetition was apparent.  Not always a bad thing, but I found some of the topics and links to be a bit boring - after the third and fourth time. Imagine that! 

Future-me will be more careful.

All said and done, this multi-year exercise has been good for me.  And more importantly, I sincerely hope these musings have allowed you to laugh, to think, and to consider where we are going in our desire to live in Christ.

"For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ." 2 Peter 1:5-8.


Already I am now breaking my new rule regarding repetition with this reminder from an article published on July 18, 2015. To love one another, we must forgive.  To forgive, we must name the injury.  

I had forgotten about this video and that surprises me.  Perhaps this is one of those times when reiteration is a good thing.

While watching, you might identify with the injured.  You might also be faced with the possibility that you have harmed others.  Either way, the video is well-designed and worthy of time spent.

Signs of Forgiveness


Since we are discussing reminders

  • Next Sunday, June 13, will be the last time that "Sandals and a Stick" articles will be automatically emailed through a system-generated process.  If you would like to continue receiving these postings, please send an email to "Mike AT responsiblereferrals DOT com" as delivery will be through normal email channels for the foreseeable future.  You will receive a response noting that you have subscribed in this manner.  IMPORTANT NOTICE
  • At the same time (or anytime really) should you have comments, suggestions, or criticism directed at the format or content, please feel free to share.  Improvement is only possible when flaws are revealed. It is conceivable that I am wandering around in trees of my own making.  
  • Please know that you need not worry about offending me - I will forgive you :-)

Thank you so very much for your continued interest and support!

No comments: