Sunday, June 27, 2021

Not Really About Bugs

I am sure you have all been chomping at the bit to know if I survived Brood X, the Cicada invasion of 2021.  

The media hype was justified, but not so much in my neighborhood.

Yes, I heard them!  I walked outside and heard the constant buzz of nature’s once-in-every-17-years event.  The experience was awesome, I will admit.  But the anticipated ‘close-the-windows-because-it-will-be-like-a- weed-whacker-gone-wild?  Not even close.

However, I did notice a few things. 
 
  • Cicadas are huge!  My mother would have hated them as she believed that 'June bugs' were of satan.
  • These insects seemed to be everywhere, but it took very little to brush them off the car as there was rarely more than a pound of them.
  • Cicadas surprise with erratic flight plans appearing to be flying away just before they hit you in the head. Note to nature: Flight lessons should be required.
  • Brood X kept us alert while driving. Nope, you did not hit a deer.
  • Sidewalks were minefields.  If you were not cautious, the crunch you were hearing meant, "Take your shoes off before entering the house." Sounding a bit like boots on snow, it was clearly not the same.
  • When one (I think it was just one) got trapped in the car, the hullabaloo overpowered the radio.  I opened the window for two reasons.  I hoped beyond hope that it would escape.  I also needed to be aware of screaming police sirens.  An interesting fact; For their size, these bugs are also impossible to find when they get in your car.
Since we are discussing insects, I happened to notice a spider on the floor one morning.  I wondered where it was going.  I wondered if the SPIDER knew where it was going.  This, another navigationally erratic route following some only-the-spider-knows zig-zagging road deep within the carpet strands.  

Cicadas and spiders.  Oh my!

No ma’am. This is not a weird version of The Wizard of Oz. Once again, this is only me - pondering a bit.  

You might now be remembering another very appropriate Wizard quote, “Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain."  I will understand as you use 'computer' to replace the word curtain.

Moving on, I would like to consider one additional creature of nature – Birds.

Do they know where they are going?  I watch them up there.  They look to be searching for something as they fly this way, then that way, then up followed immediately with a nosedive. 

If that is the case, then what about those starlings?  You know, those are the birds that you see on videos doing that murmuration thing.  This amazing performance implies that these feathered friends know exactly what they are doing.

Sidebar. 

I have read about the murmuration of starlings.  Science has investigated how that works.  I have also read about Cicadas and the bumbling flight patterns that are natural to them.  I did not read about spiders because, well, creepy!  So, before you go all scientific on me explaining the why, when, and wherefore of the observations above, just let me live in my fantasy for a bit longer so I can make a point. I have a point.  I always have a point.  Well, I think I always do.

All right.  You are ready for the big reveal, I can tell.  It is just one question.

Do you know where you are going?

Yes, that's it. I could follow up with all kinds of serious-sounding inquiries.  I could spend a great deal of time discussing directionally related concepts such as discovering paths, changing directions, looking where you are going, seeking truth, following and listening to hearts, and probably many more.


All of that still boils down to that one question.

Where are we headed?

We are human.  We are gifted with intelligence and discipline. We have choices.  We have the option to revisit and revise. We are capable of analysis and transformation.  

We, individually and collectively, are capable of great things.  We can move in great directions independently or in a murmuration of our own.  I guess this means there is another point to be made after all.

Will we?


Scarecrow: "Pardon me. That way is a very nice way."
Dorothy: "Who said that? Don't be silly, Toto. Scarecrows don't talk."
Scarecrow: "It's pleasant down that way, too."
Dorothy: "That's funny. Wasn't he pointing the other way?"
Scarecrow: "Of course, people do go both ways!"
Dorothy: "Are you doing that on purpose, or can't you make up your mind?"
Scarecrow: "That's the trouble. I can't make up my mind. I haven't got a brain, only straw."



Since you do have a brain, there is another way to examine this question.

"But don’t let it faze you. Stick with what you learned and believed, sure of the integrity of your teachers—why, you took in the sacred Scriptures with your mother’s milk! There’s nothing like the written Word of God for showing you the way to salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. Every part of Scripture is God-breathed and useful one way or another—showing us the truth, exposing our rebellion, correcting our mistakes, training us to live God’s way. Through the Word, we are put together and shaped up for the tasks God has for us."  2 Timothy 3:14-17

Note:  This passage is from the MSG version.  I typically don't turn to this version, but the entire 3rd chapter of 2 Timothy seemed very instructional for me.  Just sayin'.





No comments: