Sunday, November 15, 2020

It's the Job's Fault

I am betting that no matter what you do, no matter where you do it, no matter who you report to or what tasks you’re scheduled to complete, you have at some point in time uttered the words, “I hate my job.”  (Note:  I am just talking about you, of course.  Depending on who is reading this, let me make it perfectly clear that I have NEVER said that! – no, really!)

You might then:

  • Decide to retaliate by doing only the bare minimum work as defined by you.  You might use words like, “It’s not my job”, or “I’m not getting paid to do that, or even, “I punch in at 8 and punch out at 5 – exactly 5, not a minute later.”
  • Decide to tweak your resume’ and begin the process of leaving.  You’ll hold on because you need the paycheck but continue working in a state of resentment, bitterness, and mistrust.  Clearly, you are under-appreciated.  It’s obvious to everyone that people have no respect for you or what you do. The grass is greener . . .
  • Decide to be grateful as so many have no source of income.  You suddenly remember that Covid-19 has disrupted millions of lives.  People who were dedicated and productive employees (or contractors, or business owners) were pushed out of the work-force through no fault of their own.  You bite-the-bullet and buckle down ‘working until something better comes along’.  You stay invisible but do little to change the circumstances.

You can easily see that in each case, the choice is yours.  You are in control and you have options – just pick one.

I read a story full of wisdom that was written by Nobel Prize winner Toni Morrison which appeared in my inbox with one of the weekly 3-2-1- Thursday newsletters by James Clear (Atomic Habits)


"...one day, alone in the kitchen with my father, I let drop a few whines about the job. I gave him details, examples of what troubled me, yet although he listened intently, I saw no sympathy in his eyes. No "Oh, you poor little thing."

Perhaps he understood that what I wanted was a solution to the job, not an escape from it. In any case, he put down his cup of coffee and said, "Listen. You don't live there. You live here. With your people. Go to work. Get your money. And come on home."

That was what he said. This was what I heard:
  1. Whatever the work is, do it well—not for the boss but for yourself.
  2. You make the job; it doesn't make you.
  3. Your real life is with us, your family.
  4. You are not the work you do; you are the person you are


The point of Sandals and a Stick is to regurgitate sometimes. Gross, but true. When seeing, hearing, or reading something that reminds me of who I should be in Christ, I like to spend time with it.  Writing allows me to repeat it.  It provides the opportunity to remember Bible verses that apply to the situation and to research some of the things that have been written and preached by others.  

Today, the following verse came to mind.  I used to have a screen-saver with this message. It might be time to import this again as it seems to encapsulate every point Toni Morrison makes in her story and more!

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. Colossians 3:23-24

And, if I am stating that I want Jesus as my guide, let me also say, "Mea Culpa." That note in the first paragraph?  Yeah, that was a lie.




 

8 comments:

Unknown said...

No Never, and it is cool you haven't ever. Hmmmmmm, but wait.......

Unknown said...

Annnnnnnd, I just seen the note about the first paragraph. THATS funny

Unknown said...

Unknown?? What the ?

Mike Taylor said...

Dear Unknown, Thank you for spending precious time reading. I am also quite happy that you caught the 'joke"! Stay healthy and safe, please. m

Unknown said...

Hmmmmmmm, I wonder why I am showing up as unknown? Must be the email I am using maybe

Lance Greene said...

I am trying to figure this out.....sorry for the duplicate banter. HmmmmmmmI think this one should not show as "Unknown"

Mike Taylor said...

Mr. Lance Greene! I thought this comment chain might be you but thought better of assuming. You've been missed, my friend. Good to hear from you.

Unknown said...

Im not sure you received my thank you from the "other thing" but I do Thank you so very much.

ALso, it appears to me you have gotten even better at this writing thing Mr Taylor.....kudos to you and the discipline to continue to do it on a regular basis. I hope you have a Merry Christmas somehow my friend in all this crazy world we are now in. Be safe, stay healthy.

You have been missed also.

Lance Greene - (in case it shows me as unknown again...lol)