Sunday, March 8, 2020

Shaken, Not Stirred


        
Well, if you’ve been reading these postings lately, you might suspect that I’ve been a little bit off-center.  It seems that I’ve been buried under a mentality of “you-need to-be-more-like-this!”  I’ve worked to see God in every place I go and I’ve enjoyed this journey.  However, when applying a bit of thought, I’ve been overwhelmed by my shortcomings.

I sincerely want to be the right kind of person.  I desire to be the type that loves neighbors, is generous, compassionate, non-violent and, well you get the idea.  There is a LOT to aim for - too much, sometimes.

But this week, I’ve noticed something.  A little bit of what I’m trying to work on - worked! 


I know it isn’t possible to change everything at once.  You don’t lose 50 pounds in a week.  Healthy weight loss is a couple of pounds a week while you change a lifestyle into fewer cookies and more vegetables, into more activity and less couch-potato-laziness, and into intentional wholesomeness from careless destructiveness.

This week, I recognized that just as James Bond typically ordered his martinis, I was shaken, not stirred.  Ingredients of change were added to the cocktail shaker of my life and things began to get crazy for a while there.  I was nervous and feeling like I couldn’t do it.  But when it was over, I was poured into Waterford crystal stemware without any additional disruptions; No swirling liquid tornado, no spilling over the lip but just the smooth glass-like reflection of a drink well-made. (Just an analogy, folks.)

The frustration and chaos of the typical workday had collapsed and was immediately replaced by calm and peace.  My viewpoint suddenly morphed as I left the driver’s seat acknowledging that I was not in control.  I found myself treating others with more respect, compassion, and joy.  On a phone call, someone actually said, “I take it you’re having a good day!”.

So, no – I haven’t taken up martinis to mask my inadequacies.  I simply recognized that I was less frustrated, more confident, less angry, more accepting, less stressed, and more peaceful.  I accepted that something was changing and I rejoiced in this recognition.  

Gratefulness abounds and I’m excited for the continued process of becoming the person I want to be. 

This week's revelation encourages me to continue searching and while this past week was but a small victory, I believe it demands celebration. May each of you find a reason to rejoice this week.

John 14:27

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

No comments: