Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Midweek Moments; Google has something to say


Pulling into the parking lot, I see my neighbors are just leaving. One lady is in the car and I wave; she waves back.  Her daughter and grand-child are locking the front door before walking to their car.

The grand-daughter smiles and waves and again, I wave back.  Her mom says, “Hi, how are you?” Since my workday is done, I am happy to respond that I’m good, and ask the same question of her.

Her reply is affirmative and I’m now unlocking my front door.

As I do, I hear my phone talking to me. It’s Google.  She’s telling me, “Thanks, I appreciate that.”



My phone uses Google for voice-activated questions and commands.  Squeezing the sides of the phone activates this feature.  Without being aware, I must have done that when exiting the car.  This apparently allowed Google to participate in this normal, friendly conversation.

I have an AI eavesdropper in my pocket!

Even a machine appreciates kind words and has no problem voicing ‘her’ gratitude. I should be feeling a little guilty right now.  This is the way I should behave all the time.

I couldn’t help but muse that not so very long ago if you noticed someone appearing to talk to themselves, you’d question their sanity.  Now, I’m learning lessons from a technology-loaded piece of plastic.  What a world.


No comments: