Sunday, July 14, 2019

Fruits

Just a few errands today and I was struck by the number of choices I had.  I guess I don't think about that too much as I usually just go about my day moving from one thing to another, getting the job done, doing domestic chores, cooking dinner, getting ready for work and getting ready for bed.  Automatic-life.

During my excursion, I was also struck by the number of times when anger ruled over consideration, communication, understanding, and civility.  And then, I got angry about anger!  Yea, so I need a little help sometimes...



A driver, maybe distracted or maybe not, started to change lanes - no signaling of course, but there was plenty of room. The subsequent sound of horn jarred all senses - for a good long time!  You'd think the 'miss' was mere millimeters!  This noise pollution was followed by gestures of a kind and reading lips, although not a skill I possess, clearly evidenced words spoken.

The destination reached, I followed a few people into the retail store.  A couple, apparently in conflict, made no secret of this fact as I walked behind them.

If you're like me, you understand that anyone pushing a retail cart has no sense of 'drivers' surrounding them.  So, it happens frequently that one pilot interferes with another.  I witnessed one person saying, "Sorry!  I didn't see you there.  Good morning!" But I saw a number of opposing reactions.

Go on Facebook.  Follow the news.  This anger is everywhere.

On the way home, I wondered what we can do about this.  I mean, does anybody wake up in the morning and think, "I want to be angry all day.  I can't wait!"?

So what CAN we do about it?  Many of us will seek the Bible for assistance.  Scriptures actually have a lot to say about anger.  Just a couple quotes are listed here:

“In your anger do not sin”: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold. Anyone who has been stealing must steal no longer but must work, doing something useful with their own hands, that they may have something to share with those in need. Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage, and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice."  Ephesians 4:26-31:

Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord. On the contrary: If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12: 17-21

Note: That "heaping coals thing"? That one always makes me think I'm getting one over on someone.  I'm 'tricking' them into feeling bad about themselves which makes me feel good about myself!  More than likely, I need further instruction on this one . . .

There are plenty of verses that tell us what and what not to do. I'm afraid that the sheer number of them might get lost in the trees.  Lately, I've been considering just one verse instead:

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control."  Galatians 5:22-23

I've heard it said that when considering your actions, past, present, or future, it's good to remember that if the result of this action does not evidence the fruits of the Spirit, it probably isn't of God.

For me, that just seems easier to remember.  Wish me luck!

No comments: