Sunday, July 28, 2019

Getting Better Mileage

I have a gauge in my car that instantly provides the calculation for my current miles per gallon statistic.  I’ve noticed that when I keep my eye on this gauge, I end up with better mileage for my trip.  The reverse seems also to be true.  It feels like I’m able to change the mileage just by looking at it.

What is going on here?  Could it be possible that the pressure exerted to the foot depressing the gas pedal is subject to whether or not I am looking at the gauge?  Or perhaps the anticipation of looking at the gauge determines the pressure I apply to the pedal





All I know is that in the split second it takes to look from the road in front of me to the gauge on the dashboard, the mileage record gets better.  Subconsciously, the desired outcome is apparently affecting my physical actions.  If I’m not trying to focus on this outcome, I don’t pay attention to the foot-pressure which results in something less than the desired outcome.

Einstein (or perhaps Max Planck or some say Wayne Dyer) said, “If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.”

If I change the way I ‘see my neighbor’ it is doubtful that I will see something other than my neighbor - physically.  But I will see this neighbor change as I focus on the person.  Instead of an irritating boss, I’ll see what God sees.

This seeing involves more than eyesight.  (Previous Article:  I See You) When I actually stop, truly listen and take a moment to be involved in another’s life, things change.  With the understanding that presents itself during this interaction, that irritating person is changed in my mind. I find a different person. I notice that we have common ground in struggles and dreams. I realize that we’re not so very different after all.

I discover a new creation; this new creation has been created through the death and resurrection of Jesus.  Just like, well, me.

The New Testament tells us to fix our eyes on things above.

"Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth."  Colossians 3:1-2

"Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things."  Philippians 4:8

"Therefore, holy brothers, partners in a heavenly calling, keep your focus on Jesus, the apostle and high priest of our confession." Hebrews 3:1


What we focus on matters.
Watch the gauge.

No comments: