Saturday, December 29, 2018

Something Deeper

2019 is upon us and I suspect that sometime in the last month or so, some neuron or another began firing off reminders that it's time for the next Word-of-the-Year.

I usually don't consciously consider any focal point of this 'Word'.  Normally, it just seems to smack me in the head when I'm reading, watching or experiencing something having nothing at all to do with this exercise.  It almost appears random, but I don't really believe it's chance at all.

A number of months ago, I wrote a 4 part series on Muscle Memory and Gratitude.  I did research both externally and internally.  It was about the importance of being grateful.  It was about the benefits experienced when we make it part of who we are.  This was mostly good stuff and I learned a bit about why it's important and what I can do to increase my default position in thought and action to first be grateful.



And then I moved on.  I do think about giving thanks.  I probably do this more than I used to but I wouldn't think it my default position by any means.

Some years are good and some are not so much.  We all go through the roller-coaster of life and there is nothing that tells me it will ever change.  I guess that was the reason for spending a good deal of time to train myself for this gratitude thing.

It seemed that if one cultivated the 'muscle memory' in good times, it will be more likely one would continue along this default path when things are not so good.  The premise seemed solid and yet the experience hasn't quite been all that successful. I think it's time I review what I wrote!

Photo by Keegan Houser on Unsplash



But a few weeks ago, the smack-me-in-the-head thing said 'deeper'.  I took this to mean that I should carefully consider Paul and his words regarding this topic as he sat in jail.



I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.  Philippians 4: 11-13
Thanksgiving verses abound in scripture.  Clearly it's of great value to be grateful.  But 'deeper' is what I am hearing.  Yes, let the default be gratitude for the good things we've been given. But maybe, it's also being thankful for things which defy thankfulness.

Is it possible to be thankful for (I changed this preposition from 'in' to 'for on purpose) adversity?  Can I be thankful for hardship?  Even while praying for deliverence, can praise and gratitude be forthcoming for those very things I want taken away?  Can I be truly appreciative for injustice suffered, financial distress, health failures and even personal loss?
"I can do all this through him who gives me strength."  
Maybe it's a call to find a deeper relationship with God through this much-more-difficult exercise in gratitude.  It could be the path to finding the trust I've been looking for.  Perhaps it's a way to find the peace we all seek.

There's always the chance that I'm completely off base. Maybe it's more about a deeper forgiviness.. Or a deeper love.

In any case, that's the word for 2019 and I guess I have 12 months to figure it out.  OK.  Let's be real - 12 months to BEGIN to figure this out.

Happy New Year to all.  May everthing in your life be deeper!



For my review and yours should you choose:
Muscle Memory and Gratitude:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

No comments: